Pump won't prime

dockramer

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2009
I've been unable to get my pump to prime. So far, I've checked everything, lubricated seals and replaced spider gasket. The pool is not leaking at all except for a very small amount around the pressure gauge which I cannot seem to control despite trials of silicon tape and lubricant. I am getting some air bubbles through the return but water is flowing through the system. Pressure is between 5-8 on the meter.

Questions:

Could the small leak around the pressure gauge cause the failure to prime?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help

My equipment - Hayward Sand Filter, Old 710 vari-flow valve and hayward super pump - all are 10+ years old.
i

If you have pressure on the pressure gauge, then the pump should be primed. Is there air in the pump basket? That could be due to a clogged impeller or suction line.

If the basket won't stay full, it could either be an air leak or a restriction on water intake. Is the pool level about halfway up the skimmer? Is there any vortex or slurping sounds in the skimmer? Any water spurts when the pump shuts off?

Leaks after the pump, such as the pressure gauge, won't affect priming.

Water is above the skimmer so no air is getting in that way. Water level is stable. I'm wondering if the air could be getting in at/around the pump. It seems sealed and no water is leaking around the pump. No water spurts when shutting off the pump.

Thanks for the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.