Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump won't prime

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump won't prime

I've been unable to get my pump to prime. So far, I've checked everything, lubricated seals and replaced spider gasket. The pool is not leaking at all except for a very small amount around the pressure gauge which I cannot seem to control despite trials of silicon tape and lubricant. I am getting some air bubbles through the return but water is flowing through the system. Pressure is between 5-8 on the meter.

Could the small leak around the pressure gauge cause the failure to prime?
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help

My equipment - Hayward Sand Filter, Old 710 vari-flow valve and hayward super pump - all are 10+ years old.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Pump won't prime

If you have pressure on the pressure gauge, then the pump should be primed. Is there air in the pump basket? That could be due to a clogged impeller or suction line.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Western Pennsylvania

Is this above ground or in ground?
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

4. Back To Top    #4

It is an in-ground pool. Initially, there is no air in the basket but the level falls once I turn it on.

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Indiana

If the basket won't stay full, it could either be an air leak or a restriction on water intake. Is the pool level about halfway up the skimmer? Is there any vortex or slurping sounds in the skimmer? Any water spurts when the pump shuts off?

Leaks after the pump, such as the pressure gauge, won't affect priming.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Water is above the skimmer so no air is getting in that way. Water level is stable. I'm wondering if the air could be getting in at/around the pump. It seems sealed and no water is leaking around the pump. No water spurts when shutting off the pump.

Thanks for the help

7. Back To Top    #7

Coastalish 'down easter'

Take a look at the leak detection article in Pool School and see if that helps any.

I strongly suspect a suction side leak.

Any chance of getting a pic of your system?

Welcome to TFP!! and thanks for supporting this site
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Submitting my nomination for dumbest newbie pool caretaker - me!
    The drain plug on the pump trap was loose. Tightened it up and voila!

Thanks for the help