Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calcium question

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium question

Hi guys,

Im opening the pool for the first time did the water test and was told i need to raise hardness, so ive added calcium, next step is to start my shoking process by adding degreaser

Now my question is, how long do i need to wait after adding the calcium, to be able to add degreaser

Thanks
    18 feet AGP
    SWG
    Catridge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium question

Step 1: don't add anything other than liquid chlorine and ph adjustments right now....
    Step 2: go read pool school
    Step 3: don't trust pool stores; get accurate numbers to post in here...pool school lists recommended test kits
    Step 4: do what the experts here recommend
    Step 5: enjoy your clean and clear pool all summer
    27k Gal, IG Plaster Ansylbrite, Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter, Jandy Aquapure APURE1400 SWG, WhisperFlo WFE-28 pool pump, WhisperFlo WFE-26 Waterfall pump, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C Heater, Polaris 1-470-02 Air Blower, Jandy PDA 4.1a firmware

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey, thanks for the response, unfortunatley ive already put 200 gr of a product (forget the name) To increase the p.h. I waited 4 hours then put about 1 kg of calcium to increase hardness, then i was gonna start the shock process which is 4 products, then i was going to add the salt.

Does this seem right?

Here are my reading b4 i put anything in the pool
    Alkalinity: 90
    P.h. 7.0
    Hardness: 130
    Salt: 700 ppm
    Chlorine: 0

Mind you, this was tested before i even ran the pump

Right now my pool is pretty darkcan barely see the bottom, i have alot tree in my backyard

Thanks for your help
    18 feet AGP
    SWG
    Catridge

4. Back To Top    #4

snewo is essentially right, though you can add salt any time.

Adding calcium should normally be put off until everything else is balanced and you aren't doing anything special to the pool that day. Adding calcium on the same day as raising the PH can result in calcium clouding. Your starting CH level is fairly low, so you will probably be alright, but you won't know for a while.

Don't trust test results that were taken without having had the pump running.

Focus on shocking the pool and leave other things until later.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by poolnoob
    ...... then i was gonna start the shock process which is 4 products, then i was going to add the salt.
    What 4 products are you going to use to shock your pool?
    Liquid chlorine should be the only product you need to use. Running your pump 24/7, cleaning the filter often, and brushing the pool will get you through the shock process quickly.
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

6. Back To Top    #6

Basically, first a degreaser, then a product called clear(not sure whats in it) then 900 grams of xtreme shock i think this is some sort of conce trated chlorine, algicyce 40 and finally a product to remove metals
    Ive done all this and now my water looks cloudy green, i need to add salt now, can i add salt and start the clorinator, or do i need to wait a while before starting the chloronator, is it a bad idea to start the chlorinator at this point in my pool opening process
    18 feet AGP
    SWG
    Catridge

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't run the SWG for 24 hours after adding salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Would this help in clearing the greenish cloud , or should i be using liquid chlorine at this point?

Thanks
    18 feet AGP
    SWG
    Catridge

9. Back To Top    #9

Liquid chlorine
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

What type of liquid chlorine an how much should i use?
    18 feet AGP
    SWG
    Catridge

11. Back To Top    #11

Going to need your pool's volume, and a good set of pool readings with from a reliable test kit. Going to need your FC, TC (or CC), and CYA at a minimum to plug into poolcalculator.com to tell you your needed shock level.

Check this thread for more information:
    what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Ive done the drop test or the FC and it is close to zero (even though i did add 900g of a product called xtreme shock)

My alkalinity is 90
    Hardness is about 200
    P.h. Is at 7.2
    My pool is 18 feet above ground so about 30000 litres
    I haven tested the cya, but i would estimate about 50

In terms of liquid chlorine, can i use bleach (3 or 6%) found at the super maket.

Your help is much appreciated
    18 feet AGP
    SWG
    Catridge

13. Back To Top    #13

Keep adding chlorine. Standard household bleach, just the plain unscented stuff with not special features, is a good thing to use to add chlorine. 6% bleach is usually less expensive for the amount of chlorine it adds, ie 3% would need to cost less than half as much to be cost effective. 6% also means less carrying than 3%.

14. Back To Top    #14

Do you have an idea of the amount i should start out with or a pool of 30000 litres
    18 feet AGP
    SWG
    Catridge

15. Back To Top    #15

You need about two gallons of 6% bleach to raise FC from zero to 18.

16. Back To Top    #16

Normally FC should be between 3 and 5 right?

Is 18 the amount to shock the pool
    18 feet AGP
    SWG
    Catridge

17. Back To Top    #17

Right and right. If you don't need to shock then 2.5 quarts of 6% bleach.

18. Back To Top    #18

Just a reminder that you are chlorinating or shocking blind without knowing your CYA value. A test kit would be best to get that value, an average value of about 3 pool stores CYA reading might at least give you a ball park to use. They test CYA poorly in general but it's arguably better than where you are now.
    27k Gal, IG Plaster Ansylbrite, Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter, Jandy Aquapure APURE1400 SWG, WhisperFlo WFE-28 pool pump, WhisperFlo WFE-26 Waterfall pump, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C Heater, Polaris 1-470-02 Air Blower, Jandy PDA 4.1a firmware

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks for you help so far, after adding the bleach, the pool looked alot better this morning, water is no longer green but it is still cloudy , I can now just barely see the bottom drain.

I'm at work now so don't have time to go to the pool store to test the CYA, I can however test the P.H. and the clorine level.

what do you suggest I do at this point? should I add more bleach, or start my chlorinator tonight

on a side note, normally the chlorine level should be between 3 and 5, however on my test kit (drop test) the range is between 0 and 1.5, could this be another measurement?
    18 feet AGP
    SWG
    Catridge

20. Back To Top    #20

The next step is to get a full set of water test results now that the pump has been running for a while and you have made preliminary adjustments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast