Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem with Hayward pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem with Hayward pump

My pool is about 32 feet in length and 17 feet in width and holds approx. 26000 gal. I have a Hayward Power-Flo LX sp1580z2 pump. When I went to turn the pump on for the first time this year it just made a humming noise and nothing else. I started reading on what the issues could be and found on a site that this pump is for above ground pools. So if this is true should I just replace the pump with a larger one or try to fix this one. If I should change to a new pump what should I get? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Problem with Hayward pump

That pump is for above ground pools but will also work for in ground pools as long as the pump has a flooded suction (i.e. below water level). It must be since I assume it was working properly at some point. However, this doesn't mean that you need a larger pump and if it was working properly, then you might be able to fix it. It could be just a start capacitor gone bad or it could be the motor itself.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Problem with Hayward pump

When mine did that, I took it to someone who replaced the impeller. It's possible that it's not broken but there's stuff caught in there and it will be OK if you just remove the stuff from the impeller.

I'm also dealing with a different pump problem right now and am reading this site: ... /#comments