Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help with cracked PVC fitting repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help with cracked PVC fitting repair

Does anyone have recommendations for repairing a cracked PVC fitting that leads into the pool?

I've attached a photo below. The fitting is attached to an elbow on the left of the photo and the pool on the right. The crack is the vertical slit.

This is an inground plaster (diamondbrite?) pool.

Thanks

[attachment=0:1r6ahk0q]fr_24_size580.jpg[/attachment:1r6ahk0q]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help with cracked PVC fitting repair

where exactly is the crack in the picture
    18x36 In-Ground Vinyl.
    1 1/2hp Hayward Super Pump.
    1 1/2in piping
    300# Hayward Sand Filter.
    Polaris 180 Pool Cleaner and 3/4 hp Booster Pump
    Goldline SWG 40k.
    North Georgia

3. Back To Top    #3

I dont see it either, but the only way to fix it is a hammer and chisel to remove some concrete i'm afraid.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

updated picture with notes. yikes- is concrete work really my only option? how much do you think this repair job should cost if i hire someone? thanks.

[attachment=0:jalpvxoi]fr_24_size580_notes.JPG[/attachment:jalpvxoi]
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

The fitting needs to be cut out and replaced. The only way to do that is to chip out the concrete.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Doing some googling I found a reference to using 3M Structural Adhesive 08101 (around $20) with fiberglass cloth, but I haven't found many details or stories of people using it for pool plumbing repairs for some reason. Supposedly it is very strong and works with PVC.

Another webpage that shows using fiberglass cloth:
    http://www.epoxyproducts.com/pipewrap2.html

Does anyone have experience using a product like this?

7. Back To Top    #7

The problem with any kind of patch, even a perfect one, is it could be cracked where it's covered in concrete and concrete isn't waterproof. So you need to get access all around that pipe, and if you're doing that, may as well do it right and get new pvc in there.
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

I also agree with major. do it right the first time so you don't have to redo it next year or next month. if you aren't a do it your self kind of guy i would definitely hire some one. you want this done right. good luck
    18x36 In-Ground Vinyl.
    1 1/2hp Hayward Super Pump.
    1 1/2in piping
    300# Hayward Sand Filter.
    Polaris 180 Pool Cleaner and 3/4 hp Booster Pump
    Goldline SWG 40k.
    North Georgia

9. Back To Top    #9

There are things called "Pipe Extenders" that actually fit inside of the PVC and allow you to connect to another piece of PVC... I recently had to use these on a pad re-plumb because a pipe cracked about 1/4" above the concrete on the pad.

(a previous person had re-plumbed to 1.5" copper on a 2HP pump - with 2" PVC cut at ~1" above the concrete on the pad... anyone want to guess what color the "white" plaster was???).

Most people will look at you funny if you ask them if they have a pipe extender (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, even Leslie's might). By the look of your picture, you may still have to chisel out some concrete.

If you can't find them, try calling a wholesaler - they'll know what they are - explain your problem and they might sell you a couple for cash (most will only sell to pool care/builder businesses).

Worst case, if you can't find them, PM me and let me know what the size of the PVC is, and I'll Priority Mail one or two for cost plus shipping.

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

10. Back To Top    #10

Is there a guide or webpage that can help guide me through the process of doing it the right way?

I've never worked on a pool shell or surface.

To replace the fitting, do I need to chisel out all the way around it and all the way through the pool surface?

What specific products (cement / plaster) do I use to patch up the valve after replacement?

Thanks