Advice on First Pool Cleaner

May 22, 2011
Hi Everyone,

First, thank you to everyone on the forum. I just purchased a home with a pool in swamp mode and the advice on this forum is pretty much solely responsible for teaching me how to clean the pool.

I'm new to pools and looking for advice on what type of cleaner to purchase. I've read over other threads and the overview and have some questions.

First, here is my plumbing setup:

1 Skimmer
2 Jets
1 Return

Does the return go back to the filter or to the jets? When I backwash the filter, I notice if I don't get it quite clean, the Jets blow dirty water back into the pool, so I assume the water comes to them from the pump/filter.

So my only option seems to be a suction cleaner or a bot. My pool has a V shape in the deep end. From all four sides in the deep end, the walls slope inward, creating a crevice at the bottom. I'm not sure if this will pose a problem for any cleaners. The pool is old and does not have drains.

A bot sounds great and I was looking at the Dolphin Diagnostic, but many people on Amazon say the motor dies after 1-2 seasons. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cole

I think you are confusing 2 jets and 1 return with---------3 returns. And yes, any water coming back into the pool is coming in AFTER the filter. So, the returns are actually coming From the filter.

dolphin was my first cleaner, nothing ever broke on it unlike the other robots I had, but dolphins couldn't change direction without using the walls, assuming thats not different now, I wouldn't do it because once the bag gets a little filled or the brushes wear a bit, it will not clean the pool.

I've had a number of robots, blue diamond probably the best and has 4 years on the motors and pumps. and you can get it for under a grand.

other option is go cheap and get the nitro wall scrubber, you can get them for 600 bucks right now, even less refurbished, 2 year warranty that you will likely have to use because they are made in china. but all the parts are available and you can swap the motors yourself. If my current blue diamond Remote control dies, I'm guessing 2 weeks or so with my luck, I'm buying either one of the two mentioned.

BTW, the designer of these things told me not to bother with the remote control units, its just more parts to break.

scolemann said:
Hi Everyone,

First, thank you to everyone on the forum. I just purchased a home with a pool in swamp mode and the advice on this forum is pretty much solely responsible for teaching me how to clean the pool.

I'm new to pools and looking for advice on what type of cleaner to purchase. I've read over other threads and the overview and have some questions.

First, here is my plumbing setup:

1 Skimmer
2 Jets
1 Return

Does the return go back to the filter or to the jets? When I backwash the filter, I notice if I don't get it quite clean, the Jets blow dirty water back into the pool, so I assume the water comes to them from the pump/filter.

So my only option seems to be a suction cleaner or a bot. My pool has a V shape in the deep end. From all four sides in the deep end, the walls slope inward, creating a crevice at the bottom. I'm not sure if this will pose a problem for any cleaners. The pool is old and does not have drains.

A bot sounds great and I was looking at the Dolphin Diagnostic, but many people on Amazon say the motor dies after 1-2 seasons. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cole

Another vote for Blue Diamond (without remote control). I have only had mine for about a month but it is working very well. Used Polaris 280 and 380 for about 12 years. I figured if I was spending $800 I would get the Blue Diamond as it has had good reviews and has a 4 year warranty. I use it about every 3-4 days and it does clean our pool (16 x32) in about an hour.

I have a very small kidney shaped pool, 20ft x 14ft, flat bottomed, constant 40" deep, tiled floor, near vertical painted concrete walls. I'm looking for a small budget robotised cleaner.

I'm being drawn towards the simplicity, light weight and (definitely) the cost of the Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.
Is this a good choice for my pool bearing in mind the small size? I'm not worried that it won't climb the walls.

I already have a pool blaster max for small 'housework' and cleaning the built-in steps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.