Do I replace the whole pump or just the motor (1 HP Hayward)

G

My pump isn't that old (5 years) but keeps shutting off (tripping the breaker), so it must be overheating. I took it in to a motor repair place a couple of years ago and he replaced the gasket and impeller (he has the same pump on his own pool). Last year, the impeller wasn't moving freely and he freed it up. This year, he said it's fine at the shop but it's not working right here. He wants to sell me a new motor for it. My neighbor is an electrician and he says the the electric is still working fine.

The pool is quite old (29 years, including the liner) so I'll be doing something else with it sometime soon -- how long can a liner last....

Current pump is a 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, connected to a Hayward EC65 DE filter and pipes are buried underground. Pool gallons should be around 15,000. Should I get a whole new Hayward pump, replace the motor or get a different brand? Also, do I really need 1 HP?

Thanks in advance for any ideas....

Sue

Re: Do I replace the whole pump or just the motor (1 HP Hayw

Thanks. That's what the pool store said.

If the liner only lasts this year, would you still buy a 2 speed? I haven't priced them out but I'm assuming that they're significanly more expensive to purchase.

Also, there's another recent thread here suggesting that a 1 HP is way too big for a much larger pool: enough-horse-power-t31869.html

If you are getting a two speed, 1 HP is about as small as they come. A 1 HP two speed is better on low speed than even a very small single speed.

If you are really planning to get rid of the pool entirely in a year, then it isn't worth it. But most people end up replacing the liner when faced with that choice.

Also, the Superpump 1 HP is an uprated pump and about the size of a Northstar 1/2 HP full rated pump so it really is a small pump.

JasonLion said:
If you are getting a two speed, 1 HP is about as small as they come. A 1 HP two speed is better on low speed than even a very small single speed.

If you are really planning to get rid of the pool entirely in a year, then it isn't worth it. But most people end up replacing the liner when faced with that choice.

Not sure what I'll do when the time comes; all options are open and removing it is a possibility.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.