what do we do next?

May 19, 2011
Hardy, Virginia
Hi everyone :). We just finished filling our pool - 13,700 gsllons. The water is virgin, so all my test results are "very low". How much shock do I put in? When do I throw in the tabs? Any directions would be welcome. (Btw, the shock is in 1 pound bags).

Time for POOL SCHOOL! Button in the upper right hand part of the page.

There are basically 2 approaches to pool management.

1) Throw in some chlorine and hope for the best.
2) Invest the time in Pool school to really understand what's happening with your water and how it works.

Most of us started with option 1 and it works fine - until it doesn't. Then the local pool store starts to drain the bank account and the water never really clears up.

The people here are really helpful and many will respond. We'll all say the same thing - get a good test kit and take the time to really understand what's happening in that water.

In the short term - what is this shock? It's either Dichlor or Calcium Hypochlorite. Is that the only chemical you have? Do you have a cheapo test kit?

Please post your initial test results. You probably have no reason to........."shock". Just put in 2-3 ppm of bleach to start. You don't want any more than that without some CYA (stabilizer) in there. You'd be better off just buying some granular CYA at Walmart to get started with. Welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.