The jade green swamp - need help

dlsdo said:
I have been following the thread. I am glad to hear you cleared the pool. You sure turned that mess around. From what I have been reading here on this site...."your methods worked like they should". I have been learning so much. I am in the middle of a pool build and want to be ready. I am alittle nervous. Never had a pool.

Hi Dlsdo,

I sure am glad the letter -s is far away from the other letter, the one which could turn a person red with embarrassment in case of a typo in your name :)

Most of us here never had a pool. We mostly got into this hobby by choice and I bet we were all pretty nervous at the beginning. But it really is a piece of cake. Like the tag line says: Five minutes a day. And you do not have to be a chemist as my friend moaned just before she switched to Baquacil, and you should hear her moan now!

dlsdo said:
Yes this leading somewhere... I will have an auto chlorine feeder and plan to use BBB so as to keep my CYA under control. You mentioned you have been using your chlorinator. Why? Did you turn it on for the long trip out of town or do you use it in conjunction with BBB day to day?

I use both, the chlorinator and BBB. I have the chlorinator set to deliver 1/4 of its full capacity and I do that to keep feeding CYA into the water. When I open in the Spring there's zero CYA even though I normally close to 50 ppm. When I open, I add enough to bring the level to 25 - 30. By the end of the season the dissolving trichlor will have brought the CYA to between 50 - 60. I open as soon as all the ice is thawed, about the middle of April, and I close the first week of November. I have a lot of water loss because of the three German Shepherds who swim several times daily and drag out a lot of water, as well as backwashing/rinse ops. So between rain and refilling the CYA stays at acceptable levels when fed in the way I do it.

Because at 1/4 strength the chlorinator doesn't put in enough chlorine and because I'm your basic control freak and like to manage my pool my way, I use BBB to effect and maintain sanitation, pH, and alkalinity. I test the water daily with a Taylor reagent kit for FC, TC, and pH, and I add BBB as needed. When I have to be gone for a long weekend or even up to a week, I up the chlorinator to 3/4 feed capacity. My pump is on a timer and runs 7 hours at night. I have a PoolSkim for large debris, of which I have little other than dog hair since there are few trees nearby, and I use a skimmer sock for the fine stuff.

dlsdo said:
Also. Why do you suppose you had the algae problem? Did the FC drop too low while you were on vaca despite the auto chlorinator? Or is it that adequate FC is not enough without the day to day maintenance? Could you crank up the chlorinator next time your out of town to prevent this from happening again?

I had the algae problem because I turned the pump/filter off and went on vacation for 5 weeks. I did this knowingly, after agonizing here on the board about alternatives. I finally decided that I could deal with a green pool a whole lot easier than I could with a burnt out pump. I left the pool at something like 15 ppm of FC, my best guess since I had no way to test it. I had also added several oz of Polyquat 60. I put the solar cover on, blew it a kiss, got in the truck and drove away. Temps around here were in the mid-80 nearly the entire time I was gone and though I thought of the pool occasionally, I never once worried about it like I would have if I had left the filter running.

So, yes, the FC dropped to zero while I was gone but the chlorinator wasn't running.

There are the purists who eschew an autochlorinator and feel maintenance should be strictly BBB. I don't disagree with that philosophy at all. My life style is such that I'm not always home and I don't have any nearest neighbours or F&F to babysit the pool when I'm gone, and for those times, the chlorinator saves my butt. It has, as mentioned above, also done a good job for my pool and my conditions to keep an acceptable CYA level. I tend to have some minor issues with pH and TA at the beginning of the season but I work them out with B and B.

You asked some valid and interesting questions and I hope my replies helped you. If not, pound on me and I'll type at ya some more.

Anna

duraleigh said:
I am very interested in your response to "dlsdo"'s post above this one. I think he's asking some really interesting questions and your responses might be helpful to everyone. (Although, I must admit, that username gives me pause from time to time! :roll: :roll: ).

Don't read into the username it is just a bunch of letters without any obscene meaning I assure you. In fact..you kinda caught me off guard. I was not even sure why my username gave you "pause". Had to ask the wife...

Anna,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping I could do just as you have described.

Sincerely,

The guy with the misinterpreted username :wink:

Thanks for the compliments, Dave. This was a big test for me and I'm pleased with the results.

Marcus got in this afternoon and swam his little heart out. I figure, if he brought back any weird molds, spores, or bacteria on his skin from the camping trip, they're all dead now :)

Anna

Oh ICK!!!!!

I mistyped dldso's name!!!!!! Man, am I glad is was the wrong el. I mean, an i instead of an el but in the wrong place. No, wait, what I mean is . . . heck, dude, could ya just go with something easy????

Anna

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.