Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rain Rain...go away!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Rain Rain...go away!!

As this is my first season with the new pool I am quickly learning how everything works. I have been testing my water 2 times a week at the local PS.

They have computer testing that gives printout of all levels. I am ordering my own kit soon so I can test more regularly.

But with all this rain that we are having in Ontario the pool is filling quickly, effecting my water chemistry. Today I tested water and required 3.8kg of buffer and 3.0kg of stabilizer. Last week I added around the same as per the instructions from water tests.

My water is great right now but this week we are projected for a ton of rain. Is there any preventative things that I can do so that I am not adding so much chemicals every week?? Or is this one of those pool things that I need to get use to?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rain Rain...go away!!

How much rain are you getting? Usually rain won't change your test results all that much. In a four foot deep pool, one inch of rain only changes things by 2%.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So far this month in Southern Ontario, we've had 67mm (2.63 inches) of rain. At one point, we had rain for 68 of 96 hours. I had to drain excess water out of my pool a few times (see my post about forgetting to turn filter back to 'filter' from 'waste').

Speaking of rain, what does it do to PH and Alkalinity? Raise or lower?
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

4. Back To Top    #4

Rain can have the same effect on pH as running a fountain. You will want to check the pH after long rainy spells.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Rain will sometimes raise PH, sometimes low PH, and sometimes have no noticeable effect. It is difficult to predict unless you TA is very high, in which case it will raise PH.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ontario has been crazy. I left for Vegas last week and had approx. 2 to 3" of extra water in pool. Pool is 18x36 so more than I expected. My salt went from 3200ppm to 2800ppm with the rain fall. I have required a total of almost 7kg of buffer over past 2 weeks and 6kg of stabilizer. But with that said I started the heater up which may effect some of the chemicals. The water went from 62 to 80 and I have balanced everything now.

I just want to be ready. I hate surprises and don't want to lose control of my water