New Pool 1st numbers are in.... I think I need help!!!

Red Shirt Ensign

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2011
OK just did my 1st set of measurements with my TF-100 kit

24' x 54" 13500 Gallon AGP with 54" wall (calling water level 48")
Filled pool on city water and took 2 days to reach skimmer height

I added 2lbs of the Lithium Hypo and I have the following readings
I did not add my CYA yet
Tempo 62 and rising (I got the Nat Gas heater running now too)
FC 4.0
CC .5
PH 7.2
CYA 0
CH 90
TA 70-80

So where should I start 1st!? the .5 CC worries me so do I need to go and shock (I have my Sams Club bleaches at the ready)
Tomorrow will be sunny near 80 So I am going to add 4 lbs of CYA now for sure to get me to about 30-40 CYA)

Advice please!!
Thanks
Dan

I would address the absence of CYA first. No CYA in the water means that the FC from that expensive lithium hypochlorite will be bye-bye in short order come sunrise.

I added the 4 Lbs. of CYA since I posted... figured I might as well get it going and be done with that portion

The only useful item I have left on hand (Besides my Clorox from Sams) is 2 lbs of Sodium Carbonate for PH increase
Then I have about 10 1 lb. bags of MSP , some "Clarifier" and stuff for Mustard Algae which all came with the package (including Lithium as mentioned)

So in the absence of any recommend direct action on the FC / CC I will let it play out and do the Chlorine Test in the morning
One note on Chlorine and I was fairly certain that I did both tests very accurately

The yellow color quick test was (I thought in the 5-10 range (upper most color block) and I figured that was because I shocked the pool with the 2lbs of Lithium)
but the FAS DPD came in at 4ppm (My wife was also watching and following along and we agreed on the drop count etc...)

So I wonder which I did less accurately!! (I used the magnet mixer too, very handy indeed!!!)

Thanks for the quick feedback Guys!

New test this morning
HEavy rain overnight

FC 4.0
CC .5
PH 6.8
CYA - still 0 Test question at bottom
CH 90
TA 90

When I tun the test I can still easily see the black dot at the bottom of the tube
am I missing something in the shaking or blending of the test agent with the pool water? Seems straight forward (Pool water to the bottom of the label, agent fill to the top of the label
would over filling with agent result in a bad test? would under filling?

I know I added 4 lbs of cya last night so I'm not going out to do it again or anything

I am going to add Borax right now though

Granular CYA takes up to a week to dissolve. I wouldn't bother testing it again until the full week is up.

On the CYA test, once you have mixed the solution you can pour it into the view tube and back into the dispenser bottle several times to make sure of your reading. Also, if the pool water is cold, bring a water sample inside and let it warm up before doing the test.

Thanks for the info Im sure that is part of my reading problem... the TF-100 kit that I received had a much longer tube with a bigger circle at the bottom than the one in Taylor site example (They had a water brick somewhat similar to the Chlorine/PH block

Since the PH is pretty low and I added the sodium carobonate and the borax (I used the right corresponding amounts of each to equal the dosage)

How long should I wait to retest and or let the kids into the pool? the water is now 76 and rising fast

Thanks
Dan

Just did my numbers for tonight
Off question before I put the numbers out we jumped in this evening after I finely did the electrical (Permanent that is, the temp lines had been used for a few days)
I checked the PH and Chlorine the Ph had come up between teh 7.5 and 7.8 color blocks and my chlorine droped to .5 and 1.0
so we swam!!!

Why is my skin very dry feeling if my Chlorine was poretty low it wsan't that right?
I pooled new water after swimming and they areL

FC .5-1.0
CC .5 (barely reacted back and forth this time)
TA 80
CH around 100
CYA Finally getting a reading as it is dissolving in... around 15-20

So given this I am Inclined to bring the FC up to around 4.0 and call it a night

water is now 80 so the heater is going off in a bit tonight!! was nice to be able to get it up to usable temps so quick along with the cover (cover reel on order tonight!!, getting real tired of that!)

Please let me know about ways to make the skin less dry or softern water etc..

Thanks
Dan!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.