Hello to everyone,

FC - 9
    CC - 0
    TC - 9
    Ph - 7.8
    TA - 180
    CH - 600
    CYA - 70

Pictures 1 & 2 are from 7/2010. The 3rd is from today when I used straight acid with the Jandy stain remover. I had to keep it in place for a few minutes while it siphoned about 1/2 gallon of acid onto it. It seems to have worked when pucks didn't. Does this mean it's a mineral stain, not black algae? Is there something I could use to treat the whole pool at once? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    28,000 Plaster IG Pool
    Pentair WhisperFlo Pump 1.5 HP
    Pentair SMBW 2060 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid removed part of stain, advice please

Is this a stain or is it a deposit of some sort? Is it rough or smooth?

3. Back To Top    #3

That looks kind of like black algae to me. Black algae will partially scrape off with a finger nail and when smeared on paper looks green. A metal stain will not brush or scrape off at all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

These have been here for a couple of years now. I originally thought they came from ground water because there was never any debris left on the the pool floor. They don't seem to get any bigger. I tried scrapping it off with my finger nail a while back and and got nothing. Not one of my best ideas but it does scape off with a chisel duct taped to a pole, so it seems to be just on the surface of the plaster. Zero results with rubbing a puck on it or liquid chlorine in the Jandy stain remover.
    28,000 Plaster IG Pool
    Pentair WhisperFlo Pump 1.5 HP
    Pentair SMBW 2060 Filter