Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first big mistake of the year

1. Back To Top    #1

My first big mistake of the year

I messed up real bad ....I put in about 1 lb of cya, and using my test kit TF-100 I got no results for over a week (the water was in the 60's), So I added more. Now the test reads 90. I only use bleach, and except for leaving town for over a week. I don't plan on using anything but bleach. That being said, my pool is crystal clear no cc's and everything is going good. My TA is A little high at 110. Should I do anything or just keep on trucking on? I will try to keep my fc at 5 till it gets hotter then up to 7.
    Thanks for this great website!
    Retired Army and still serving.
    18X54 round above ground pool
    Sand Filter, 1hp pump
    TF 100 Test Kit
    Rover Jr robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My first big mistake of the year

90 is a bit high, but as long as you keep on top of it and don't get algae, it will be OK.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to maintain your FC levels per the CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school. If you're going to use bleach............just let rain water and water replacement let that CYA number drift down slowly unless you're in the mood to replace some water now. It can take up to a week for CYA to properly register on a test. Of course.............you know that now! Check your PH regularly and see if it likes your TA level or not. Adjusting Ph down with acid will also lower your TA over time.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing, that as long as it stays clear, I am good. One question that I have. How will I know if my TA is too high?
    Thanks for all the reply's!
    Sand Filter, 1hp pump
    TF 100 Test Kit
    Rover Jr robot cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll know when the TA is too high by the pH making a large swing. If you test one day, and pH is 7.2, then you test the next and it's 8.2, then you'll know it's too high. By adding acid to lower pH, you're also lowering TA, and eventually, you'll hit a "sweet spot" with the TA, where the pH just "locks in" and you'll find that you barely ever need acid.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the reply, it doesn't make a drastic change but it will gradually go up, so I will work on that, once again thanks for all the replys.
    Sand Filter, 1hp pump
    TF 100 Test Kit
    Rover Jr robot cleaner