Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long should a shock take?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long should a shock take?

Wednesday afternoon I shocked my pool. There wasn't much green/algae, but FC was near 0 and the water was super cloudy.

Since Wednesday afternoon I've done my best to keep FC at ~12 (though it's gotten as low as 8). It's been as high as 14.

So, now it's Saturday and while the water certainly isn't green anymore, it's still very cloudy. It's been three days of shocking but no real visual results that things are getting better. Is that typical?

Overnight FC loss has been ~2-3, but CC levels have been zero or maybe 0.2 or 0.3...certainly below 0.5.

Here are my most recent tests (as of this evening):

FC - 13.5
    CC - 0.6
    pH - 7.4
    TA - 80
    CH - 140
    CYA - 30
    22,000 gallon vinyl in ground with Hayward S244T sand filter and Hayward 3/4 hp Super Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long should a shock take?

Sand filters are fairly slow................so you're fairly typical. Running the filter 24/7 till it clears and backwashing as necessary? How about a full set of test numbers......especially your CYA level. Are you shocking per the CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school? If so..........fudge that shock level number a couple of ppm.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Could you post a current set of test results? That way we will know if you are hitting the correct shock level for your pool. Since the overnight FC loss is still > 1ppm, you need to keep the pool at shock level and keep the pump running 24/7.

Sand filters will take a bit longer to filter out dead algae. You can help things along by adding some DE to the sand filter to increase filtration of finer particles.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are current test results:

FC - 13.5
    CC - 0.6
    pH - 7.4
    TA - 80
    CH - 140
    CYA - 30

I haven't backwashed because ~48 hours ago I added a ton of CYA (it was 0), so didn't want to wash any of that out. Is it okay to backwash now?

And yes, I've been running the filter 24/7.
    22,000 gallon vinyl in ground with Hayward S244T sand filter and Hayward 3/4 hp Super Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

If it has been 48 hours since adding your CYA, I think that you will be alright to do a backwash. That should be enough time.

6. Back To Top    #6

If the pool is slow to clear, then note that you can Add DE to a Sand Filter to make the filter more effective.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"