Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Now what?

So we got our filter replaced (yay!) and the SWCG installed (double yay!).

Now. I tested my FC and I'm at about 6 as I fired everything up. So I'd think the SWCG doesn't need a whole lot of production right now...? Do I let it figure out what it needs to do or am I supposed to tell it to scale down production? I've got a splitting migraine right now and feel like I'm not thinking clearly. I'm sure I could think through this if my head weren't hurting so bad...or at least manage the search function. Just don't want to leave it running at the wrong level/rate through the night.

thanks
    oh - also - my salt is a little high - 4200 according to the Autopilot (I got a little dumping-bags-of-salt-happy yesterday I guess). It says it's running at 55% right now.
    19x43 Inground Vinyl Pool, approx 22 years old, no main drain, 2 (lopsided!) skimmers, 2 returns.
    1 HP Pentair Superflow Pump
    27" Hayward Sand Filter
    AutoPilot SWCG
    Aquabot T-4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Now what?

Go ahead and give us the full panel of test results. You gave us the FC. Now we need CC, pH, salt level, TA, and CYA. Post those results and we will go from there.

3. Back To Top    #3

Even with a salt system, water balance is extremely important for the safety of your family and the longevity of your pool and equipment. The amount of chlorine required in your pool depends primarily on the stabilizer (CYA) level. If you could post a full set of test results, there are a lot of great folks in this forum who can help you optimize your water chemistry for the newly installed Salt system.
    pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

The SWCG won't be able to "figure out what it needs". You will need to make some adjustments to the chlorine output % and the pump run times throughout the season based on the water test results.

In the beginning, you will need to test the chlorine in your pool every few days until you get a good idea of how the chlorine output setting of the system effects the chlorine residual in your specific pool. This will change as the temperature increases, if you have a heavy bather load, or if you have a significant amount of leaves in the Fall. As you gain experience, you may only need to test weekly or every other week.

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

whats an SWCG?

and fc of 6 is good...whats your cya?

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry - I'm not quite on top of my game tonight.

FC 6
    CC 0
    CYA 80
    TA 60
    PH ~7.4
    Salt 4200 according to Autopilot, ~3720 according to test strips (a little higher than I intended)

The reason I asked about the Autopilot figuring out for itself where it wants to be - when I first started it, it showed 100% then dropped to 85% shortly after we fired it up. I knew my FC was going to be slightly above target range for SW pools so I went ahead and dropped it to 45% to see what kind of chlorine that would produce over night. Shortly after when I was back checking plumbing I noticed it was back up to 55%. So it seems to be doing some thinking on it's own...? I guess it's good that one of is right now...

Autopilot has been on for about 2 hours. Since the pump was down all day, and we have a fence being replaced around the pool (lots of dust and dirt stirred up around the pool), thought I'd let it run over night. Once we get rolling, I'll prob run it during the day and cycle the system off in the evening/night.

Thanks for all the help!
    19x43 Inground Vinyl Pool, approx 22 years old, no main drain, 2 (lopsided!) skimmers, 2 returns.
    27" Hayward Sand Filter
    AutoPilot SWCG
    Aquabot T-4 Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

That looks great. Relax, lie down, forget about the pool for now.
    15X30 AGP, Lomart beaded liner;
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump with 21 inch sand filter (Zeobrite media)
    Mineral Springs (Aquatrol) SWCG, Rigid PVC plumbing, 2 inch
    Four 4X12 Techno-Solis solar panels, rack mounted, Goldline Solar Controller

7. Back To Top    #7

The AutoPilot units are temperature compensated, which means they automatically change the percentage as the water temperature changes. That is why your percentage setting has been changing on it's own.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

leave it for 1 week. then check the fc see where it is at. then reduce if needed. at cya of 80 I like to run my pools at 4-5ppm fc. with a heavy bathing load 5ppm of fc will work better. target 5ppm of fc.

btw levels look really good. check CH and run numbers through the pool calculator and see what your CSI is. try for a slightly -CSI helps keep the cell scale free. salt level will come down with backwashing this summer..

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah - temp compensation - that's what I wasn't considering.

Will check my CH - I haven't really kept too close an eye on that since the pool is vinyl.

I notice that the info on the screen cycles (flashes) off and on. Is there a way to turn that off? Sort of a sleep function like on a computer?
    I haven't searched for this info yet. I may go poke around a bit and see if I can find something.

Thanks for all the information!
    27" Hayward Sand Filter
    AutoPilot SWCG
    Aquabot T-4 Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

The display is always cycling as far as I know.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School