Recommendations on things to do when pool is empty?

May 18, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
I'm currently draining the pool per your recommendations to get CYA level out. Do you have any recommendations on anything I should do while my tiled pool is empty?

One of the things I'd like to do is get rid of the white substance buildup on the water line tiles. One of the pool guys said it was calcium and hard to get off (mentioned shooting glass beads at it or something like that) but who knows? Is this something I could tackle while pool is empty? I'd hate to refill the pool, mention a problem and then someone says, 'Ohhhhh, you should have done that when pool was empty!'...Doh!

Also, is it a good idea to let pool stay empty for awhile to get rid of any algea or other stuff?

Again, thanking you in advance for any replies.

surfhawaii said:
I'm currently draining the pool per your recommendations to get CYA level out. Do you have any recommendations on anything I should do while my tiled pool is empty?

One of the things I'd like to do is get rid of the white substance buildup on the water line tiles. One of the pool guys said it was calcium and hard to get off (mentioned shooting glass beads at it or something like that) but who knows? Is this something I could tackle while pool is empty? I'd hate to refill the pool, mention a problem and then someone says, 'Ohhhhh, you should have done that when pool was empty!'...Doh!

Also, is it a good idea to let pool stay empty for awhile to get rid of any algea or other stuff?

Again, thanking you in advance for any replies.

acid wash the scale off..not full strenght just like maybe light acid wash..1:3

try that..you dont want to damamge the tiles. but acid wash is the way to go. the stuff on the tiles is scale..could be calcium and or CYA..

dont worry about the algae in an empty pool it will mostly die. but when you start filling start pool up as soon as possible with skimmer closed and main drain open. then add a bunch of liquid chlorine..I like to add 2-6 gallons of 10%..I am in the tropics and UV is really high so more LiqChlor the better. best get filtration going as soon as possible..

also if you havent yet change your main drain cover to an anti entraptment main drain cover.

He is talking about muriatic acid. It is sold in most hardware stores. The 1:3 dilution is assuming you start with a 31.45% concentration, which is the most common concentration though it also comes in several other strengths.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.