Pool Staining. Chemical question

May 21, 2011
Hi I am new to swimming pool problems after having had a trouble free 4 years,then about 8 months ago i started to notice staining to my pool floor.When i took a closer look under the water i also noticed that the pool was starting to become pitted in the area of the stains. This area is mainly concentrated in one half of teh pool with no marks or pitting to the Spa? My pool is still under warranty and i have had them take a look at the pool and they tell me that it is a Stabilizer problem that has caused this? Seems strange that there are only localised stains and none in the spa. Could this bee the steel bars used to construct the pool, and not enough lining having been added?

The builders sent some one round who added "Jacks Magic Stain Solution #1".Whilst this did remove the stain it has done noting for the pitting.I'm worried that this will continue and the pool will go out of warranty
and i will be faced with a bill for having my pool re-surfaced.

I had the water tested . Would really appreciate if some one could help. :cool:

Actual Level: Ideal Level: High / Low

Total Chlorine: 5.0 ppm 2 to 4 ppm High
Free Chlorine: 5.0 ppm 2 to 4 ppm High
Combined Chlorine: 0.0 ppm 0 to 0 ppm
PH 7.6 7.4 to 7.6
Total Alkalinity 135 ppm 80 to 120 ppm High
Calcium Hardness 325 ppm 200 to 400 ppm
Stabilizer 100 ppm 40 to 100 ppm
Total Dissolved Solids 1000 ppm 300 to 3000 ppm

Temperature 80
Langlier Index 0.3

Analysis for 11564 Gallons Exposed Aggregate Pool. Analyst: West. Savannah
Prescription for: Pemberton, Chris on January 7th 2011

MURIATIC ACID:
Pour 3.2 quarts of Suncoast Muriatic acid into a plastic bucket already filled with swimming pool water in a ratio of 1 part acid to 5 parts water.
Pour this solution towards he deepest part of the swimming pool while circulation system is operating. Do not add more than 1 gallon of
Muriatic acid per 8 hours. BE CAREFUL WHILE HANDLING MURIATIC ACID, IT CAN CAUSE SEVERE BURNS AND DAMAGE>
Recheck PH 24 hours after total alkalinity adjustment.

Welcome to TFP!

You do have a problem with a very high CYA level, but that would not have anything to do with the pitting you describe. Your high CYA level means your FC level is actually too low. With CYA around 100 normal day to day FC levels should be 8 to 13.

I am concerned by the muriatic acid directions that you posted. Doing that would bring the PH way way too low and low PH is exactly what causes plaster pitting. If you have been following directions like that, they are the most likely source of your plaster damage.

Thanks for the post. To be honest we have done nothing with the pool other than the Jacks magic #1. We did not add any muriatic acid. What do you think about there being no stain/pitting in the spa? If this were a chemical problem would it not be in there as well?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.