I added Borates to my pool about 3 weeks ago, and now sit at give or take 50 ppm. I have always had a problem managing the TA in my pool because the fill water has TA in excess of 300. So, for the past year or so, I have always added muriatic acid whenever I top off my pool to first bring pH down to 7.2.
Everything has been fine until today.
On Thursday, I added water. Prior to fill, my readings were as follows:
So, as the fill water was going in, I added about 14 oz of acid, which is less than the pool calculator said was needed to bring it down to 7.2. I never tested again until today, and here are the current numbers:
pH is less than the lowest reading on the Taylor Chart
TA came in at 40
It's almost like someone snuck in and poured a bunch of acid in my pool while I slept!!!
OK, moving on:
1) My pool has an always-on spa spillover. I just turned on the additional waterfalls as well as the spa jets as that has always been very effective aeration to raise the pH.
2) I don't really want to increase my TA with any additives as my fill water takes care of that for me.
So, my questions:
1) Are the TA or pH numbers are accurate? Or, does one of those numbers being off effect the test integrity of either or both of those?
2) Is it OK to have low TA for a couple of weeks while I wait for the fill water to bring it back up?
3) If the answers to those 2 questions are yes, should I do anything to manage my pH during that time...or just assume it will be off for a while?
Any thoughts on how this could have happened or what I need to do would be greatly appreciated.