Pressure a bit higher than normal

skillset

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Central NJ
I opened my pool today and started my routine in balancing the water with BBB. I've been an avid follower for the past 4 years and have great results.

Anyway, I notice my PSI guage is reading 21 (after cleaning/backwashing). Over the past few years, my pressure's always been 18. THis is getting to me. The water is moving through the pump nicely - no air pockets seen. No leaking air/foaming through the returns that I can tell. The returns seem as strong as I remember - so I'm not detecting anything there. The only thing that may be slightly off is my skimmer. Doesn't seem to be pulling things in like it used to - but this could be my imagination at work trying to find something!

I guess I could just accept the 21, but just wondering if anyone out there could suggest any thing to check given the "clockwork" 18 I'm used to seeing year after year.

Running a Hayward Superpump and Hayward Sand Filter in an IG FG 10K gal pool. Both originals - 5 years old. No maintanance on either ever done. Also have a Hayward chlorinator attached that I haven't used in years. The plugs on the chloronator and pump are tight.

Thanks!

There are two possibilities, either there is some flow restriction on the filter side of the pump causing the pressure to be higher, perhaps a closed valve or a dirty filter, or the gauge is broken. Filter pressure gauges tend to be cheap and break easily.

Thanks, Jason. Might not hurt investing in a new guage - the one is showing it's signs of wear.

I've never used Filter Cleaner but I did pick some up at Lelies a few weeks ago when I was buying CYA. Will give that a try. Again - haven't done anything to the sand filter since I've got it - so other recommendations on cleaning welcome.

Can the filter "issue" cause reduced suction from the skimmer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.