Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: opening next week, preliminary test results

1. Back To Top    #1

opening next week, preliminary test results

I plan on opening the pool next week. Today I tested my water for the very first time using Taylor 2006k test kit. The water is not mixed, I just wanted to get some preliminary readings so I could have everything I need on hand next weekend. Here are the results:

TC: 0
    PH: 7.3 (~7.25)
    TA: 100
    CH: 110
    CYA: 43
    Temp: 53 (I know )

I'm wondering what results could be affected by water not being circulated before tested. In other words, what should I retest next time right before I open the pool? I'm pretty sure that I don't need to test chlorine. How about CYA? CH? I assume that I would need to retest PH/TA, right? The winter cover is still on.

It looks like the only thing that is off at this point (besides the chlorine) is PH. I'm going to use borax to bring it up.

I plan on using mostly cal-hypo for chlorination due to convenience, lots of rain and very soft fill water. I will use trichlor if/when I'm away or when I need to bring CYA up. If my numbers get too high, I might switch to bleach.

Since cal-hypo is alkaline, should I bring PH to lower level of the proper range? Say 7.5 and let it drift up with cal-hypo use? Will the rain try to bring PH down?

thank you!
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: opening next week, preliminary test results

I would wait until the water has circulated for 1 hour to retest all parameters except FC. PH, TA, CH and CYA may all be off if you have mainly rainwater/melted snow that has not been mixed together with the previous pool water.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

got new results today after some circulation:

TC: 0
    PH: 7.4
    TA: 140
    CYA: 40
    CH: 140
    Temp: 60

do i need to bring my PH up a little bit? or should i wait for TA to drift lower and bring PH up?

i box of borax would get me to 7.65. i do have borax and want to add it eventually. should i add one now? and can i shock it now even if decide to add the borax?

i found two liquefied tiny corpses of the chipmunks so i do want to shock

the water is clear, but greenish, i could see all the way to MD.
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

4. Back To Top    #4

I would leave the PH alone. With TA at 140, it will drift up on it's own. Starting the shock process now would be a good idea
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks dmanb2b!

i figure i should look ahead instead of simply addressing current state of things. i started shocking it yesterday. i added 5 182oz jugs which should bring it to 16-17ppm. in an hour it was 2.5 fc and <0.5 cc. so it seems like it killed a lot of stuff and oxidized cc as well. i expected a lot more cc though.

i added another 5 jugs and in an hour or so stopped the pump since i was concerned with pressure over night. so i assume it's 0 tc or some cc right now. water went from very green to almost blue

6. Back To Top    #6

i was mistaken! i check cl and FC is at 14ppm! and CC is 0.5 or less. so i had about 2 ppm drop over night + 1 hour of the sunlight in the morning. with cya being 40, i would imagine that i dropped 0.5 in th morning along. so water is a bit cloudy, but looks blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Shock, shock, shock. Get as much debris out of the pool as possible, as it uses up the FC. Don't forget to brush. The pH will read wrong at shock level, so stop testing it until you have clear water. It's real easy to fix, anyway.

If it were me, once the pool is clear and FC holds overnight, I'd teardown the filter and really clean it good. Then commence adjusting pH and lowering TA. Lucky you on the CH level.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Richard,

My FC right now is 14. Should I wait till it drops to say 10 and add more?

9. Back To Top    #9

13 ppm of FC, 0.5 or less of CC. do i keep shocking? the water seems clear with a little suspended substance. color is mostly blue with a light hint of green, the walls feel a bit slimy.

1 jug of the bleach would bring it up to 16 ppm right now

10. Back To Top    #10

I would keep it at shock level through tonight. You lost FC overnight last night, very close, but not quite there yet.

Brushing the walls sounds like a great idea.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

my shock level is 15, does 'keeping at shock level" mean never let it drop below 15? or 12-15 range is ok?

12. Back To Top    #12

Try to average 15, so aim a little higher, and then it is alright if it goes a little lower at some times.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

cool, thank you!