I got my pool last May. I tried the "pool store" way of chemicals and my pool severely deteriorated over six weeks. I then found this wonderful website and forum. I have been relying on this site ever since. I love it, and have gained a wealth of knowledge. Forgive me, but this is my first post. I have a quick question and don't have time to browse the questions because I'm freaking out now. I screwed up. I live in Alabama where the recent tornados past through. (About a mile from my house.) My home suffered no damage, but debris was everywhere in my yard - and in my pool. I have filtered out insulation for almost a month now. It is all but gone now. About 10 days ago, I noticed the pool turning black on bottom and my sparkling pool was quickly turning greeny-gray. I immediately knew I had an algae problem and went straight to TFP to get the answers. I have been maintaining shock for 8 days now. I am now losing only 1.0 overnight. Pool is MUCH better. No more dirt visible and water almost clear. Just a slight haze now. However, when testing this morning I got "too confident" without relying on TFP with every question. My pH was off the charts. I added pH down to lower it back to below 8.0. I came in to pull up the forum for something else and I failed to read that being at shock level this long would show abnormally high pH levels - until just now. I should have left it alone! My question is this: NOW, what do I do? Leave it alone or try to bring it back up? If so, when?
Lesson Learned. I'm still not good enough to do this on my own.
17,500 AG Vision, Vinyl Liner
2.0 hp, 2 speed pump
Cartridge Filters - cleaned weekly by hand
BBB Method since July 2010
Live in Tornado Alley trying to clean it up