Is there a cover for the big suck hole in the side of pool

G

there insted of a MD a hole in the side of the pool about 18-20" down on the side of my pool, is has an INCREDIBLE amount of sucking power, i got a good size gash in my hand this morning because of it, there was a coupe of leaves floating down and i wanted to grab them and my hand got sucked in to this thing theres a mark that looks like i took a pizza cutter in circles around my hand, OUCH, now we have alot of people with long hair and i am very worried that they may get stuck on it or get an injury like me, if this was a little kid, he would be in ER right now (ok maybe over reacting), but do they make an antivortex cover for this thing :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

RT,

Is the inside of the hole threaded? This sounds like a dedicate side suction for a vaccuum cleaner. If so, there should be a valve adjustment to reduce this suction. I asked about the threads because there is fitting called a VAC LOCK that shuts off suction from with a spring loaded door that keeps the hole closed until you connect a vaccuum hose to it.

I can't image any other reason for a suction side hole to be about 18" below the water level.

Poolsean said:
RT,

Is the inside of the hole threaded? This sounds like a dedicate side suction for a vaccuum cleaner. If so, there should be a valve adjustment to reduce this suction. I asked about the threads because there is fitting called a VAC LOCK that shuts off suction from with a spring loaded door that keeps the hole closed until you connect a vaccuum hose to it.

I can't image any other reason for a suction side hole to be about 18" below the water level.

yes it is threaded, there is a booster pump that is now (last month) just sits there, now disconnected, and it had a valve that could go to a return or that thing (i guess), can you give me more info on the cover thingy,

If you aren't using a cleaner attached to that fitting, a better solution would be to shut off suction to that line at the equipment. There should be a valve there to divert suction to the skimmer instead of the vacuum line. If there is no valve, you might add one. It is possible that there IS a valve, and it is set to divert suction to that vacuum line. In that case, the vac loc fitting might cause undue stress on your pump, which is now trying to suck water through a plugged line.

LeeD said:
If you aren't using a cleaner attached to that fitting, a better solution would be to shut off suction to that line at the equipment. There should be a valve there to divert suction to the skimmer instead of the vacuum line. If there is no valve, you might add one. It is possible that there IS a valve, and it is set to divert suction to that vacuum line. In that case, the vac loc fitting might cause undue stress on your pump, which is now trying to suck water through a plugged line.

never thought of that, i think there is a valve by my system, i have to go check, it has been so long since i have looked at the pump. :cry: I WANT SPRING, i dont care im opening it in march, i miss the crstal clear blue water, that never gave me trouble wheter i forgot clorine for two weeks or it rained for a week and i didnt shock, always crystal clear. 8)

Where's Duraliegh when we need him? :roll: He had a question about something similar last year on PF and found an 'anti- vortex' fitting to solve the problem. (I'm hoping he sees this and can recall the part # - if not, I'll spend a few hours looking for the thread)

Yeah, I never installed that peice...it was gonna' be a hassle to get the fittings to match up and it sorta' dropped off of my "top ten things I need to get done" list. I may address it again this Summer but I've forgotten the resource where I say that item so I'll have to start over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
crabboy said:
Wouldn't a $1 threaded PVC plug work in this case? Screw it in when the vac is not being used.

im using that right now, but like LeeD pointed out , the pump is still trying to suck there, so i would be best not to use that all the time. i need to get new valves as all of mine are broken, i backwash with a monkey rench. :roll:

I have this same type of sucky hole:) I bought a grid type of cover for it for safety reasons. But, I didn't want to turn it off since I don't have a main drain. That hole and the skimmer are the only suctions I have. For pool circulation, I thought having both of them with suction would be better. The grid I bought screwed right in. I got it down at the local pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.