Slimy, slippery film on a vinyl pool

Jul 13, 2010
Hi everyone!

I have a 20,000 gallon pool that uses a salt water chlorinator. Works great. But... I have this thin, slippery, sorta slimy and discolored film on the surface - - and I can use a brush to remove it... but is there a better way to remove this type of thing? If so, what is it? I'm hoping there's some kind of chemical or additive I can put in the water to safely remove it. I don't know what it is, I just want it.... gone.

If I get in the pool and slide my hand over the surface of the pool (under the water) I see white stuff that's rubbed off onto my hand. Is this dead algae or something?

Thanks for any advice or tips you can give.

Given time chlorine will break that down. You can also use a scum ball or scum bug in the skimmer to help soak it up. Or you can try an enzyme treatment, which will help the chlorine break it down more quickly.

It is oil of some kind. This time of year it is probably an organic oil coming from pollen that falls into the pool, though it could also be suntan lotion or tanning oil if you use either of those and have been swimming recently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.