Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Pool Cover - Thickness - Mil vs Gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Pool Cover - Thickness - Mil vs Gauge

We ordered a new solar cover this season. It seems thinner to me than than the last one we had. I am wondering if I was duped by their description. We had a blue 12mil for our first three seasons. I thought we ordered another blue 12mil but from a different company. Now I went back and reread the description which says 12 gauge, not mil. Do you think there is a difference btwn gauge and mil? I am having trouble with receiving all of the items I purchased from them to start so I think I may not get very far if I dispute the thickness. I wonder if gauge is their way of not being held accountable to a 12mil thickness. If needed, the weights and measures dept in our county is very helpful so I know they would come and measure for me with no problem, but again, wonder if that wording does not hold them liable....or maybe it does. The cover was shipped direct from the solar blanket company out of Chicago. Thx for any help.
    18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Solar Pool Cover - Thickness - Mil vs Gauge

The conversion between gauge and mil is not well defined. The most common usage is that 1200 gauge is 12 mil.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School