Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I test for metals?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I test for metals?

There is a cloudiness in our pool water that I can't seem to get rid of. All the test #'s with my TF-100 kit are basically good. With all the rain in the last 6 weeks, we have had several thousand gallons of ground runoff enter the pool. It's a light yellow/green/brown cloudiness (hard to tell the exact color.) Last year the opening went smooth and the water was crystal clear a few days after opening. This is only our second year with the pool. I noticed a couple of bottles of Metal Control lying around from the previous owner. Maybe they knew something we didn't! I've been shocking the pool for the past 2 weeks, waiting for the liner to settle. Maybe metals entered via the ground water, and is the cause of the cloudiness. Is there a way to test for metals. My TF-100 kit doesn't have that test. Thanks in advance.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I test for metals?

Please post a full set of test results! Also, have you done an overnight FC loss test?

Metals will not make the water cloudy. Metals can color the water, but metals alone leave the water transparent.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, thanks Jason. When the liner settles I'll re-do all the #'s, and go from there. I don't want to do too much now, as I'll be adding water as the liner settles. I'm just continuing to shock, and run the pump 24/7. Thanks again.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with Jason as well.

For what it's worth, testing for metals is actually one test that we recommend leaving to a pool store. This is because the testing supplies are often expensive and generally, all that is needed is a qualitative result (yes there are metals vs. no there aren't any metals).