Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Sand Filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Sand Filters

I have a 10000 gallon pool with a 1 hp pump. I was looking at replacing the sand filter with either a top mount Pentair Sand Dollar 40 or 60 if the 60 isn't too big or I was looking at the side mount Triton 40, 50, or 60. The other option would be the Triton 60 with Clear Pro Technology. What gallons per minute and effective filtration is optimal with a 1hp pump?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    16 x 41, 24,500 gal fiberglass with 450 gal spillover spa; Pentair intelliflow VS, Pentair Clean & Clear 420, Pentair MasterTemp 250, X-stream 2 slide; aquabot breeze 4wd

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Sand Filters

An Sand Dollar 40 is too small for that pump, even a 60 is so so. In general you want the largest filter you can afford and have room for.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

And Clear Pro is available for Sand Dollars. I don't bother though. If I have an application/consumer that demands a higher level of filtration, I suggest DE.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses but after researching a little more, I decided to get a Pentair CC150 Clean and Clear Cartridge. I use skimmer socks and rarely ever backwash. Watched a few videos about cleaning the cartridges, checked out the price of replacement cartridges and decided to go for the filter that gives me better water filtering than sand without getting involved with DE.
    16 x 41, 24,500 gal fiberglass with 450 gal spillover spa; Pentair intelliflow VS, Pentair Clean & Clear 420, Pentair MasterTemp 250, X-stream 2 slide; aquabot breeze 4wd