Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Build in NH - YAY

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build in NH - YAY

ETA - Title Change and Thanks Jason! More picts too

Well we made the choice, pulled the trigger, went with gunite in the end, chopped down the trees and now the boulders............oh the granite boulders. Luck has it that we have not yet run into ledge but as you can see, we're not a lot into the digging part.

I'm now seeing water coming up in the "deep end" area. If this is the water table, will this be a huge problem? Should we plan for a French Drain? They are about 7 feet down and need to go about another 2-3 feet (pool is 8.5 feet deep end)

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21x40 - 28000 gal Kidney w/swimout, bench, Aqua Comfort Heat Pump, AquaRite Plus SWG, LED, White plaster/blue tiling, Cartridge Filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just started digging - after deforestation - water help?

Running into some water at the bottom of the deep end is common enough. If that is a spring high water level then you won't have any problems long term, though it might make the build a little more complex.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Build in NH - ground water

They came out today and did the main drains and the rebar. Ive noticed in other photos that there is some sort of wrapping on the outside of the rebar before they do the gunite - wonder if we'll get this too (?)

We changed the depth to 7' 3/4" or so as we hit ledge and a waterfall of groundwater seeping over it. It was actually pretty cool looking. If we ever run out of water from the town, we know we can get a well in at least

Tomorrow (depending on weather) they come out for the plumbing and we have an electrical quote as well. Getting quotes still before we make that decision. Any ideas on ballpark pricing?

Still toying with equipment pad placement. Anyone have theirs about 15-20 feet away from the decking? Is this ok in terms of noise and whatnot? We'll do some shrubbing if we have to.

PB thinks we'll be in and swimming by 15 June - and the digging started on Friday 20 May!
    21x40 - 28000 gal Kidney w/swimout, bench, Aqua Comfort Heat Pump, AquaRite Plus SWG, LED, White plaster/blue tiling, Cartridge Filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 380

4. Back To Top    #4

Slooow progress here due to weather but at least we got the tile done! The PB is outside now laying the plumbing and doing the backfill/grading for the decking. Fingers crossed the weather holds for the next 4 days so we can get this darn deck poured and move on to the plaster! Everyone elses pool build looks great and hopefully ours will too in another 2 weeks! Now on to hunt for a good cleaner......

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: New Build in NH - YAY

So the plumbing and electric have been run - YAY! Fill and gravel for decking has been partially laid but I have a question. When we signed on to get "fill" purchase on our own, we thought we were paying for ya know, dirt to fill in the pool. We needed to put dirt back in down and around the pool so we never had any issue. But we are actually also paying for the sand/gravel mix to lay the deck on. Hubby says it's like buying a car and then finding out the tires don't go with it. Who woulda' thunk?

Hopefully decking can get laid out and then poured on Monday - weather has not been cooperating!

Any last items we should be thinking of - pondering more tile around the stairs before they get to plastering...

6. Back To Top    #6

What a slow and boring build we have going on here!
    Things here are sloooowly progressing still. Decking guys came out yesterday and today are finishing up. I hope that the concrete does not dry into 2 different colors - considering there will be only 24 hours or so between pours, concrete folks say that any discolouration will blend in within a month.

We have not received the equipment yet; the pad is just being poured today. The electric is not finished and PB neglected to ask if we wanted tiles around the steps/swimout. Lucky for us the concrete guys and other subs had asked if we were getting that and why the PB only tiled the tile line. So the tile for the steps/swimout should be done tomorrow as well as equipment delivery. Hopefully the electrician will be out as well. Plaster is scheduled for Friday and 5 trucks of water as well. With luck, we will actually have a pool in almost-ready-to-swim condition by Saturday.

?? I was wondering in a zinc anode is necessary and if so, should I get one for the skimmer basket? Plumbing is long covered so the skimmer is the only option. Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry to hear its moving slow!!! Hopefully once they get the concrete done the rest of your process will move quicker!!! I love your stones!!! You are going to have one beautiful paradise when you are done!!
    Purposed new pool at home being built- 20x40 vinyl pool, 20ft vinyl covered steps, Automatic cover, 6 ft sheer decent, 4 lighted deck jets, lime stone coping, easy touch, heat pump, SPA- 8x8 fiberglass shell, limestone steps surrounding
    previous home- 16 x 32 IG Vinyl- Install- Mid June 2011. 3ft Shallow 8ft Deep/ Totally Hayward 1HP pump/ 250 pound Sand/ AquaPro800 Heat pump/ Blue Hampton Liner/ 2 Intellibrite LED Lights/ Polaris 360/ 4 Deckjet II's/ 3ft concrete Apron/ 800 sq ft Paver Patio

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL Tater - those stones were all dug up and were the bane of the project in the beginning but, they really were a blessing in disguise! We are so happy to have been able to use them. We have some really large ones on the opposite end/side of the pool that will be great places for the kids to sit. Neighbors came over to ask if we would be willing to give them some of our bolders - they paid $70-150.00 for each of theirs

Equipment arrived today, stairs/bench/swimout tiled and the deck is done. We had the kids put their handprints/names/date in the deck (it's our forever house) and it came out really neat. Tomorrow the plaster and water arrive! The weather looks to be holding for the next few days.

Hope to have more images tomorrow - can't wait to light up the pool with the USA Flag lighting, even if we won't be swimming just yet!

Have to say that while our build has been sloooooow and sometimes frustrating, our PB really has done amazing work and we don't regret chosing them one bit!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by maggiem
    Still toying with equipment pad placement. Anyone have theirs about 15-20 feet away from the decking? Is this ok in terms of noise and whatnot? We'll do some shrubbing if we have to.
    Just to throw in my experience, our pump is in that 15 to 20 foot range and it is not a noise issue, especially with our two speed pump on low.

Make it convenient for you to access. short plumbing runs should be more efficient too.

Best of luck,
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

10. Back To Top    #10

I'll second that. My dual speed pump on low is whisper quiet. Practically inaudible. You can only here a very faint hum if you are standing directly over it. If you havn't already, I would highly advise you to equip your pool with a dual speed. It is the single best upgrade I made on our pool package. Love it.
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: New Build in NH - YAY - More pix

I thought I would post a few more pix. We're almost done (just planted 25 trees around the new fence - not shown) with the landscaping but I couldn't resist adding these now! Next we move on to siding the house and cleaning the mess we made in the back yard - ugh!