World's largest pool

WOW :shock: :shock:,
cost 2 BILLION to build and fill and 2 MILLION every six months for maintenance.

492 ftX 338 ft

trying to find how many gallons but, i dont believe the depth, "transparent to 35 meters" thats like 115 feet that cant be right.

whats cool it the hotels have little pockets that form smaller pools, and even have covers, wonder how many MD's returns, skimmers, and pumps that thing needs, does it have a PeterBuild desil engine driving the pumps.

TIME TO MOVE AGAIN :lol:

you know im going to plan a trip down there and get my own pictures :lol: that will never work everyone will say DADDY WE WANNA GO TO DISNEY WORLD for the 16th time in a row.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolsean said:
The link states 250,000 Cubic meters of water. This equates to 66,250,000 gallons! Let's see, with a few Pool Pilot units, that would need 1,650,000 lbs of salt! :shock:

RT, make that TWO tickets! :-D

according to my trusty imac converter i converted 250,000 cubic meaters to us gallons and got 66,043,013

That is one amazing pool. I'm not sure if bigger is always better ? I looked at the links where they were going to build some of those pools. Why build something that big if its going to be next to the ocean? Maybe oceans aren't that great? I've never seen one before. Biggest water I've seen are the Great Lakes. It would be interesting to know how they keep that water sanitized. Since belonging to this group hotel pools creep me out! Kim

I was trying to find out how this pool works, in doing so, it states that the water is tranparent to 35meters, which doesnt necessarity mean it is 35 meters deep, they are just talking about visibility. Here are the people that built it.

http://www.crystal-lagoons.com/home.html

Apparently its sanitized differently than traditional filtration systems, and uses 100 times less chemicals.
Its pretty secretive because I can't find any more into on how it works, but I would bet that its not BBB.

crazycanuck said:
Apparently its sanitized differently than traditional filtration systems, and uses 100 times less chemicals.
On the History tab on this page they also say that they use a "pulse-based disinfection method". Usually, this refers to UV disinfection using intense pulsed UV light. This not only kills pathogens, but if intense enough will also breakdown organics. The reason it is pulsed is so it can have enough intensity to penetrate through a full pipe width of water since constant UV gets cut down in intensity significantly from organics in the water closest to the UV source. This blog talks more about it and it sounds like this is an ocean salt water pool -- that is, VERY high in salinity, just like the ocean so around 10 times the salinity of a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pool.

I strongly suspect that there is virtually no residual disinfectant used in this lagoon-style pool. Their "projects in development" on the Developments tab listed Chile, Argentina, Panama, Dubai and Spain and though they listed the U.S. generically, they did not give a specific project location. The potential project of Archiplan in Spain would be the only one in the E.U. If they get approval for that, then I suspect it will be treated as an artificial lagoon rather than a swimming pool -- that is, it will be treated similar to the ocean itself which clearly harbors lots of bacteria and algae. For the U.S., the EPA has not "closed down" the ocean due to its unsanitary nature! Remember that the primary purpose of a residual sanitizer is to kill pathogens that are newly introduced faster than they can be transmitted to another person (or the same person -- fecal to oral). In an artificial lagoon, the bather load is extremely low since the volume of water is so high so dilution takes care of keeping newly introduced pathogen counts low. Whether that argument is enough to satisfy government agencies in the U.S. and Europe remains to be seen.

They do say that they add chemicals, just at far lower rates, so I suspect they are more of the variety of algaecides and enzymes that tend to be longer lasting and they probably don't worry about pH so it's probably somewhat above 8.0 (ocean water near the surface is at around 8.1). The key to keeping their water clear is to circulate it and that alone takes a LOT of energy for those huge pumps.

Richard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.