Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: start up question

1. Back To Top    #1

start up question

How long should I wait after adding bromine starter to test ppm?
    Thanks,
    B
    15,000 gallons, Cartridge Filters, IG,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: start up question

For a spa, just 10 minutes or so with the circulation pump and/or jets running to mix the water. It doesn't take long.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks chem geek! One more question...still waiting on the new spa cover and of course it just rained cats and dogs right after i got everything balanced. I have the bromine tabs in the floater and just tested again. It shows bromine levels at 1...am I on the right track to go ahead a shock again?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, just add an oxidixer (bleach, non-chlorine shock MPS, Dichlor) to raise the bromine level, assuming you added enough sodium bromide initially to create a decent bromide bank.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks again! I added exactly what was recommended to build up the sodium bromide and I did shock again (bleach) last night. Just checked and YAY the BR is 4!! The Ph had drifted up a bit, but I am guessing that just like the pool, I will have to figure out the ebbs and flows of the HT. Added a bit of acid and will recheck in a bit. Thanks again for your help!