Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Much A Foot

1. Back To Top    #1

How Much A Foot

Can anyone give me a good ballpark estiamte on how much a custom island should cost per foot?

I have a company come out and they gave me the impression that the base cabinet and coutertop work out to about 550.00 a foot. I belive that also includes electrical.

Does that sound right to you?
    PebbleTec pool with beach entry and rock waterfall/slide, Jandy Aqualink Wireless OneTouch, Hayward DE Filter, Goldline SWG, Polaris Black Max 380 with booster, Hayward Heater, 2 Blowers for HotTub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Much A Foot

BUMP !

Nothing???
    PebbleTec pool with beach entry and rock waterfall/slide, Jandy Aqualink Wireless OneTouch, Hayward DE Filter, Goldline SWG, Polaris Black Max 380 with booster, Hayward Heater, 2 Blowers for HotTub

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have an IKEA near you? Will the cabinets be exposed to the elements? If you have an IKEA, and they will be out of the elements, you might consider doing the cabinets yourself. I remodeled the kitchen in my last house and did all the cabinetry with only the help of my wife. It was easier than I imagined! All I had to do once I had the cabinets done was have the granite people come in and do the countertop. You could order your countertop from IKEA also, if you wanted something less expensive than granite.

I have before pics too if you want to see what I started with
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

For outdoors or indoors? A kitchen cabinet/island is nothing more than a box with some doors or drawers. That price seems a bit high but then if you looking for some custom carpentry, molding, and exotic woods then that is about right. You can save a lot more money buy buying pre-fabricated cabinets at your local tile/kitchen/bath remodel center. Or in my case in my old town home, build your own, or find a used one, and just reface the cabinets with Oak/Maple/Cherry veneers. I did my whole ugly oak kitchen for $2700 including granite ($500 for maple veneer and 1"x2" and 1"x6" & hardware). Just refaced the cabinets and made doors from a sheet of 4x8 maple plywood for the big doors and 1x6 for the drawer fronts (flip the drawer around and attach new one on). For the top cabinets, I used 1x2" and a sheet of 1/4" maple plywood and my own using a dato blade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20k Inground StoneScape mini pebble Tahoe Blue pool/spa combo. Intellifow VS 3050 / Intellitouch Control Panel 4 circuit / Pentair 24" Water Fall feature / Pentair Cartridge filter / Solar / Raypack 400k Gas Heater / Starite Max E 1.5 HP jaccuzi Pump / Sta rite Booster pump / Polaris 380. Click Here to see Outdoor Kitchen Fireplace Build

5. Back To Top    #5

Here some pics during the build. It was not hard at all, just time consuming. But if you want to save $$, i recommend this way. Super easy, it's peel and stick!!!!
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (31.0 KB, 1283 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (23.7 KB, 1283 views)
    20k Inground StoneScape mini pebble Tahoe Blue pool/spa combo. Intellifow VS 3050 / Intellitouch Control Panel 4 circuit / Pentair 24" Water Fall feature / Pentair Cartridge filter / Solar / Raypack 400k Gas Heater / Starite Max E 1.5 HP jaccuzi Pump / Sta rite Booster pump / Polaris 380. Click Here to see Outdoor Kitchen Fireplace Build

6. Back To Top    #6

Kid,

Are you talking about a BBQ Island built out of steel framing and Hardiebacker?

If so the prices I'm getting in Southern California are:

"Professional" shop prices:

Island Skin (Steel and Hardie only) - $175 LF - I don't think that included electrical or gas, but I'm not 100% sure

Complete Island (Steel, Hardie, Porcelain Tile, Stucco) - $230 LF - I think this does include elec and gas, still not 100% sure

Then a guy I found on Craigslist with prices down as low as:

Frame and Electrical: $75 LF
    Frame, Elec, Hardie: $95 LF
    Complete Island (no equipment, porcelain tile and stucco): $185 LF

I'm still checking prices, but I hop to start on mine next week.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

7. Back To Top    #7

I am talking about a BBQ island...not an indoor kitchen.

Your numbers sound much better than what I was quoted. I was getting quoted about 550.00 a linear foot which I think is extreme.

8. Back To Top    #8

Kid, I built my island myself for $800. 9ft long grill, sideburner and storage cabinet.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

9. Back To Top    #9

I saw a guy at the Dallas Home & Garden Show who quoted me $275/ft for a custom island with stucco & granite tile. With slate tile it would be even less.

10. Back To Top    #10

[attachment=0:36kuw7jg]outdoor kitchen.jpg[/attachment:36kuw7jg]

did this one in block, just glue and stack some cutting...
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Mike,
    I'd like to do something just like that. If you don't mind my asking what make/model grill is that. I've been looking at the following models:
    - CalFlame G3 or G4
    - RCS Junior 26 or 32
    - Napoleon Mirage or Prestige

I'm leaning toward the RCS b/c it has stainless burners (not cast iron). I'd like to keep this under $1K and I think I prefer the 4 burner models for those rare occasions when we're entertaining larger groups like July 4th, baseball parties, Labor Day, etc. The wheeled charbroil grill we currently have isn't gonna cut it and it looks downright ridiculous near the pool. Your example looks very clean and it looks doable in a weekend. Any guidance you could give would be greatly appreciated.
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED

12. Back To Top    #12

Napoleon 36" has a rotisserie and searing burner. we like it. I had to re place one burner tube, i think they are SS.

a weekend is possible, that kitchen is like 4 ft x 13 ft. I basically made it so i would have no cuts except for the grill opening. i made the top out of wood, its shot. I am now doing one in concrete. Dont use alot of glue on the blocks in case you ever want to take it down and if you use those heavy blocks make sure you have a good base.
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

13. Back To Top    #13

moved the kitchen back 4 feet, made it less wide ( about 3' instead of 4") but now have a overhang for a bar. Made the top of concrete w/ colored glass and fiber optic lights embedded. Put the kitchen on a 7 x 14 ft slab and covered that with ceramic tile that looks like wood planking and put up a sunsetter awning..
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Where did you get those blocks and what is the process of building with glue?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by beaulook
    Where did you get those blocks and what is the process of building with glue?
    landscape/ hardscape company either "techo block" or another brand name. Just lightly glue ( they have a glue just for block at lowes) and stack, very simple. In fact i did not even glue the first 6 courses or so since the are so heavy. With my concrete top you would need a sledge hammer to move them
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Hey Mike I guess those blocks are just around the perimeter just made a box frame then put your perfered top onto it. I really like your idea
    18' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, Intex Sand filter 2650gph pump with saltwater generator,lady bug automatic vaccum cleaner, Hydropools wide mouth skimmer, all hard plumbed 1.5" PVC

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by edavis
    Hey Mike I guess those blocks are just around the perimeter just made a box frame then put your perfered top onto it. I really like your idea
    yes perimeter, i can crawl inside it if need be......
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

18. Back To Top    #18

I browse around TFP all the time and drool over some of the beautiful pools with waterfalls, slides, colored lighting, etc. So for some reason when I read your post I thought of an island in the middle of a large pool. I guess this place has me thinking anything is possible!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    I browse around TFP all the time and drool over some of the beautiful pools with waterfalls, slides, colored lighting, etc. So for some reason when I read your post I thought of an island in the middle of a large pool. I guess this place has me thinking anything is possible!
    or at least a swim up one....
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump