Liquidator for my pool?

johnvb

May 6, 2011
Va Beach Va.
Thinking about adding a Liquidator. I have a 27,000 gal. pool that is in total direct sunlight maybe 8-9 hours a day, in the summer. I run the pump 8 hours a day minimum. Do I need the 4 or 8 gallon version? Also, how much liquid chlorine does each hold, per fill? Any idea how often it will have to be refilled?

Right now I'm buying the 3 (1.4 gal) jug packs of bleach from Costco, but the pool store down the street sells 2-1/2 gal jugs of the "good stuff" , at a slightly lower cost, with the added advantage of reusable/returnable containers. We're talking maybe a .20 cents difference per gallon cost, once the percentage of chlorine is factored in.

The big jugs would be a hassle to store and use on a daily basis, but they might be a better option with the Liquidator.

In regards to the pump running schedule, right now I have it setup where as an outside temperature control overrides the pump time clock if the ambient temps are above 80 degrees. I set this up to run the pump longer when we get one of those heat wave spells. Is this going to screw me up trying to maintain FC with the Liquidator ? I'm thinking so.

Thanks
John K.

As much as I love them, with your sized pool I wouldn't recommend the LQ (liquidator). I dont recommend them for anything larger than about 20,000 gallons. If that weren't enough, the fact that you vary run time on temp precludes the use of the LQ. You would be constantly adjusting the output and the FC would still swing.

You are a prime candidate for an injection pump. You can set it up to pump chlorine into your pool during your pumps normal run time and it won't change even if the main pump runs longer. There's some pretty good discussions on peristaltic pumps here.

In regards to the peristaltic pump setup, what do I need to know to size the pump? I have extra 24 hour time clocks that I could hook up to control just the peristaltic. I'm an ex HVAC/R tech, with lots of spare parts. :)

I changed my pump timer so that it now comes on from 10am to 4pm, and then 8pm to midnight. I did this so that I can manually add bleach right at sunset, and have some run time to circulate it.

My thinking is if the peristaltic pump is on a separate timer, it could energize at 8pm, and flow fully (with a shorter run cycle) until the daily needed amount of bleach is injected into the system (hopefully in less than 4 hours). Automatically doing what I would do anyway, every night.

Wouldn't this be better then a drip drip method using the main pump timer? I think it would be better on the pump. Plus the bleach would only be added after sundown.

Of course I just started the BBB method this season, so have no idea what my liquid chlorine use will be. Can say the pool will be used very lightly, probably mostly by the frogs and ducks from the nearby lake. :grrrr: (and yes I did get a Frog Log this year, hope it works!)

You need to figure how much bleach you're using each day. I manually dosed mine for a few weeks to learn how much I used each day. Once you know that, you can figure how fast you want to inject that much and buy a pump that will do about twice that rate.

It really doesn't matter to the pump whether you run the pump at a slow rate or wide open. It'll be fine either way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.