Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Teflon tape or something else for pcv threads?

1. Back To Top    #1

Teflon tape or something else for pcv threads?

What works better than teflon tape for pvc threads to the filter connection. I used teflon tape but It is leaking slightly, is there something different/better, thanks.
    Approx 74,000 liter inground vinyl pool 12x32, laser 225 sand filter, Hayward 2 speed pump + old pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Teflon tape or something else for pcv threads?

Some type of silicone sealant?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Real pipe dope. Look at HD or lowes. It comes in a can, its a thick, white, paste.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thats the ticket!
    The tape is ok, but for unions on a pump, get the good stuff.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Does that pipe dope stay limber, or does the connection end up being as well as "glued" together? Can it still be unscrewed?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Does that pipe dope stay limber, or does the connection end up being as well as "glued" together? Can it still be unscrewed?
    Yea, sure. You can unscrew the pipes, no problem. We used pipe dope for years. That tape is newfangled stuff. Some plumbers still refuse to use it and prefer the pipe dope.

8. Back To Top    #8

Tape tends to work better on smaller pipes, 1" or under. Paste works better on larger pipes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Tape tends to work better on smaller pipes, 1" or under. Paste works better on larger pipes.
    Awsome responses guys. I knew there had to be an alternative to the tape I'm used to. I have found that the tape tends to perforate/ tear in some situations, especially for larger pipes as you mentioned. Also I just upgraded to a Sand Dollar SD-80 filter. Seems like a winner so far.
    Approx 74,000 liter inground vinyl pool 12x32, laser 225 sand filter, Hayward 2 speed pump + old pool heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

I prefer paste over tape every time, but that comes from working on hydraulics and pneumatics where shreds of t-tape, can and have, clogged up nozzles and needles.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

One of the handiest tips I learned (from an old school plumber) a while back with plastic threaded pipe fittings was to always use a thin layer of teflon tape then apply the pipe joint to the taped threads. This has not only cut out any leaks for me but it also has reduced the era of over-tightening and cracked the fittings. I might add the pipe joint compound shown in the previous picture is good stuff.
    1) 13,210 US gallons
    2) Hayward sand filter
    3) AG
    4) Pentair Minimax 100 heater