It's not going to be pretty

May 24, 2010
CT.
Ok, Based on the winter and what i have seen by pulling the cover back a tad I know what i face. A green tinted pool! My question to you is can i start to Add by liquid chlorine prior to getting the pump running and taking cover off? I can add and circulate with the sump pump putting the water right back into pool. I can not get to removing the cover until Early next week but want to get a head start!

You should not try to add any chemicals until the pump is running.

In almost all cases it is possible to fill the pool and get the equipment running without taking the cover off, which makes taking care of algae, which needs sunlight, much easier.

Just started the filter, Had it all connected last week. Removed all drain plugs and the pump is circulating fine!!!

TC=0
FC=0
PH7.2
TA 70
CYA 60
CH 280

Will get to the store Later today or Sat Am to get DE and Chlorine. Let the process begin :)

Based on these numbers should i bring shock to 20? That would be initial 2.5 gals of 12% 5 gals of bleach 6% or 4lbs of Cal hypo 73% should i keep ph and TA at there current numbers?

Ok, Not as bad as expected. After running the filter overnight with cover on! and getting the shock to 20 I pulled cover this AM! Looks good. no major debris not green only a tad cloudy. Will brush and continue to run 24hrs! My question is if it not green or no viable algae do i need to keep Chlorine at shock? can i drop to 10 or so? Should i use a polymer to clear or just let filter and Chlorine do it's job. Filter pressure has not really moved. but after a brushing i expect a little movement.

TC 18
PH 7.2 Target 7.5
TA 100
CYA 60

If i add Borax to bring up ph will the TA be to hight at that point?

It is good to keep the FC level high a little longer to make sure you got all of the algae.

With a DE filter, the water should clear up quickly without adding anything. Make sure you keep an eye on the filter pressure and backwash/clean as needed.

Don't worry about the PH until the FC level comes down below 10. High FC levels can throw off the PH test results.

Cheers, This is simple! Moved to this method early last summer and had the best results in 17 years!

Should i keep the FC high until it's clear

But i did do a mixture of Liquid and pucks for my weekends away and as a supplement during the week. I ran the auto feeder on 2 ! no other pool store chemicals needed all year!

We recommend keeping the FC level high until the water is clear. It isn't always necessary, but it sometimes is and it isn't always easy to tell which situation you are in.

If you don't see an improvement in the water each day there may be something more complicated going on. But most likely, the DE filter will clean things right up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did the same this year.
Filled up, turned pump on, shocked with cover on.
The only down side: the high chlorine level was pretty hard on the cover. Might not be able to use it this fall.
But water was looking GREAT after the cover came off. Little cloudy from dust that sifted through the cover. Added some DE to the filter, kept the vacuum running.
Now it's been raining off and on for weeks, water temp is between 50 and 70, still too cold to get more than feet in the water.
But I have a huge float. So with a blanket, pillow, sunglasses, book and drink..... I'm on the water.. gently floating where the wind takes me, bumping against the railing once in a while, napping, reading, listening to the birds, ..... I love it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.