Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OK - now more questions! Sorry guys!!

1. Back To Top    #1

OK - now more questions! Sorry guys!!

DH wants to fix the pump that got hit by lightning so that we have a spare pump. Actually, we DO already have a spare pump - it's on now, but it's old and loud and while it's working now, we aren't sure HOW long it will be working!!

First - is it possible to fix it, or are we going to just end up replacing the motor?

2nd - if we replace the motor, can we replace a 2hp dual speed with a 1 or 1.5hp dual speed? Judging by other answers I've seen, I'm going to say no, but thought I'd ask it anyway!!!

I've only looked at a few online, but it looks like a motor runs you as much as a new pump. If that's the case, if dh wants a "new spare", we should just buy a whole nother pump - in which case I'll just wait until our "old spare" kicks off, THEN buy a new spare..... lol

Thanks - again!!!!!!!
    21x41x54" AG Artesian Seville II
    Installed around 2004 - we moved here in 2008
    23,000 gal
    Hayward SwimPro 256T Sand Filter
    1HP 2speed Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    No heating - other than Solar SunRings
    Central IL

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: OK - now more questions! Sorry guys!!

How much you can improve the sounds depends on what is wrong. Many older pumps simply are louder, but it could well be louder than that due to bad bearings or something similar, which could be repaired. In any case, it is doubtful that it will ever be as quiet as your old pump.

You can use a smaller HP motor only if you also replace the impeller with a smaller HP impeller. You can always switch to a 2 speed motor as long as the SFHP matches or is greater than the rating of the impeller.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Re: OK - now more questions! Sorry guys!!

One advantage to changing motor only, is that it can often be done without having to disconnect any of the plumbing.

p.s. there are how to videos on youtube for many popular models of pumps.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~