Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB / Having to add 64 oz of bleach everyday - normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB / Having to add 64 oz of bleach everyday - normal?

Hi,
    I have a 10,000 gallon plaster pool (12 years old) I inherited this year. I converted to the BBB method and take readings each day with the TF-100 kit - ph around 7.8.

I am having to add about 64 oz of bleach (6%) each day to keep the chlorine level up at an acceptable level (5-10). It seems each day the chlorine is almost completely used up, sometimes I can go 2 days w/o adding the bleach but it likes its daily dose.

Is this normal? How often do others have to add bleach? I was hoping to only add every 3-4 days or so...any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks, Aaron
    15'x30' 10K gal, in-ground, cartridge filter, waterfall, spa, The Pool Cleaner, Purex Triton 250 heater, pool built ~1999.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: BBB / Having to add 64 oz of bleach everyday - normal?

Is your pool 10k or 15k?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

While it is possible to set things up to add bleach every other day, it is very difficult to stretch that out to once every three or four days and will require using much more chlorine than you otherwise would. We recommend adding chlorine once a day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

@Duraleigh - thanks for pointing that error in my sig! I have corrected, pool is 10K.

Thanks for the reply - I guess it is normal to add the bleach every day then? Chalk it up to my lack of knowledge!

Thanks again.
    15'x30' 10K gal, in-ground, cartridge filter, waterfall, spa, The Pool Cleaner, Purex Triton 250 heater, pool built ~1999.

5. Back To Top    #5

That actually sounds about right. I add around 42 oz. per day. Not sure what your CYA is but if it is around 30, you might consider raising it some for added protection from the UV rays of the sun burning off your FC.

6. Back To Top    #6

64 ounces per day in a 10,000 gallon pool is 3.1 ppm per day, which is slightly high, but not unusual. You can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you have excessive chlorine loss due to organics. Test the FC once the sun goes down at night, and then again in the morning, to see how much FC is lost overnight. If it is more than 1 ppm, then you might have something in the water that is consuming chlorine. Higher water temperatures tend to use up more chlorine, so if you have the water heated, then it could use slightly more than an unheated pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hot days and low humidity in our area also means a higher than normal evaporation rate. Even though my water temp hovers around 80, I am using a little more chlorine now than I usually do during swim season.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Convenience vs work - an SWG although an upfront expense is such a great convenience. I was adding 64 oz. each day prior to starting up the SWG this spring. Now, it's simply turning off the pump once in a while because my chlorine level is slightly higher than what it should be. I would consider an SWG if you can do it within your budget. More importantly, you don't have to get up at 10:30PM from the couch and realize you forgot to dump your daily chlorine in the pool. Unfortunately, until I get a timer, I do have to remember to turn the pump off at night and turn it back on in the morning which is my current schedule. The timer I'm getting shortly will certainly make it more convenient.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Any idea what a SWG system would run for my pool? Sounds like a great idea!

10. Back To Top    #10

SWG prices vary quite a bit. If you install yourself, you should be able to do something for around $600, having someone else install it usually means prices closer to $1000.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

What SWG can you get for $600? Do you have a link?

Thanks,
    ============================================================ ======================
    28,000 Gallon in ground Pebble Tec Tahoe Blue free form, Jandy 1.5 SHPM, Jandy 60 DEV, Jandy AquaPure 1400, Polaris 280, No Spa or water features.

12. Back To Top    #12

Prices on CompuPool units are very reasonable, see for example here.

13. Back To Top    #13

I live in Sw Florida and add around 36oz of 12.5% a day. My pool is also a 10k gallon. Family like the temp around 86 so that causes a bit more chlorine usage. You are using about the same as me.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.