Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tired of replacing fabric on gazebo-made my own!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Tired of replacing fabric on gazebo-made my own!!!

So I was tired of always changing the fabric on the gazebos I would buy at Lowes or Home Depot. I had a quote for a pyramid hip roof design I wanted. It was almost $5K.....Way to high!! So 4 weekends and the right tools and some framing knowledge I made this.....$1300.00 including the Sunbrella fabric. OH and yes I know I have to change the Facia Boards- I cut them a bit short lol........ I just made my own plans and went with it. Some boards are very heavy (like the 3/4" plywood) so I had the boy and the father-in-law helping to lift them
    Painting the inside roof was the hardest part..... The structure is 13' x 13', now I just need some nice furniture to put under it!!!!

16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tired of replacing fabric on gazebo-made my own!!!

Wow. Nice work ... I think we are hoping to eventually put something like that together as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That looks great!

.....and oh how you will enjoy it in the soon-to-be-here hot southern summer!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

NICE! I want one right over the top of my entire pool!
    using the BBB with liquid Chlorine 10.5% for 5 yrs.
    inground 28 X 14 ft. 14,700 gallon pool. Masterpool 8 port floor popup system
    Replastered w/Krystal Krete 09/23/2015
    Pentair 100 sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter - 1 hp Super Flo pump - IC20 Saltwater system.
    TF-100 test kit and the Taylor K1000

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all. It really gives you a great feeling doing it yourself. Its amazing how much you can save if you can DIY.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Great job.. Love the colors!

DIY saves tons of money!!... I can attest to that too. My Hubby has project after project on his list (most of them his idea) because we can afford it- only because we do the work ourselves. If we'd done like most people, I'd be lucky to even have my pool!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Very nice!

Yes, DIY is best way to get a quality product affordably!

8. Back To Top    #8

Very nice. I had the same frustration, but only chose to sew my own canvas top for the existing wrought iron frame.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

9. Back To Top    #9

Where did you get the sunbrella fabric? We are getting ready to DIY an awning for our pool deck, and have had trouble finding fabric sources.
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi Amjohn we ordered the Sunbrella fabric online. In additon we used an exterior type thread- its not cotton so the seems wont rot.
    We got the fabric at http://www.outdoorfabrics.com/ It is #5403.

The bottom is hemmed with weights that help hold the fabric down in gentle winds.

11. Back To Top    #11

Very nice! The red fabric adds just the right touch of color. Love it!
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the reference on the fabric. Did you do your own stitching or order the curtains Pre-made? I am actually doing an awning, so wondering how hard the stuff is to stitch.
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Tired of replacing fabric on gazebo-made my own!!!

Very nice!!
    Steve
    Deep in the Heart......errrr HEAT of Texas
    20k gallon gunite formal

14. Back To Top    #14

FYI: you can get the fabric on Ebay as well. Sometimes at a considerable savings.
    using the BBB with liquid Chlorine 10.5% for 5 yrs.
    inground 28 X 14 ft. 14,700 gallon pool. Masterpool 8 port floor popup system
    Replastered w/Krystal Krete 09/23/2015
    Pentair 100 sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter - 1 hp Super Flo pump - IC20 Saltwater system.
    TF-100 test kit and the Taylor K1000

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by amjohn
    Thanks for the reference on the fabric. Did you do your own stitching or order the curtains Pre-made? I am actually doing an awning, so wondering how hard the stuff is to stitch.

We measured and sewed all the pieces ourselves. The bottom has a hem which contains weights to keep them "down" when there is a light breeeze.

The wife is very talented with the sewing machine!!! We also used an outdoor stichinginstead of regular cotton thread so it will keep the hems together longer.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jhalpinjr View Post
    So I was tired of always changing the fabric on the hardtop gazebos I would buy at Lowes or Home Depot. I had a quote for a pyramid hip roof design I wanted. It was almost $5K.....Way to high!! So 4 weekends and the right tools and some framing knowledge I made this.....$1300.00 including the Sunbrella fabric. OH and yes I know I have to change the Facia Boards- I cut them a bit short lol........ I just made my own plans and went with it. Some boards are very heavy (like the 3/4" plywood) so I had the boy and the father-in-law helping to lift them
    Painting the inside roof was the hardest part..... The structure is 13' x 13', now I just need some nice furniture to put under it!!!!

hardtop gazebos listed below...

Just wanted to say I was on the verge of buying a gazebo when I randomly came across this in Google. Ended up doing it myself. Was way easier than expected, and you're right - it feels good doing it yourself.

Thanks again.

17. Back To Top    #17

What did you use to attach yours posts to the concrete?

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP, You can use these type Ozco Building Products - Ornamental Wood Ties (OWT) They are very nice
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks so much

20. Back To Top    #20

Nice. I'm about to build one very similiar. is the structure 13' x 13' without overhang? I want one 12' x 12' with 2' overhang. So i believe i will need 3 sets of creepers per quarter. did you use 2" x 6" for roof? what size are your posts? 6" x 6"?
    Located in Ottawa, Ontario Canada
    23K Gal, AG, Cart filter, 1.5hp 2speed hay PowerFlo Matrix, Install Sum'13, Aquatrol SWG, Solarbear panels, kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac, TF-100
    Artesian ~500gal Grand Gayman Island Spa