can't remove return eyeball

beezar

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Houston, TX
Hope someone can help me out on this, but I've been killing myself trying to remove even one return eyeball in my pool. I am able to remove the outer ring and the directional eyeball part, but the threaded fitting that screws into the wall will not budge. :-x

I've tried a seat removal tool (made by Hayward--looks like a key card), which fits perfectly in the grooves of the threaded fitting, but that didn't work. Using pliers to turn the tool just bends and twists the tool without moving the threaded fitting one bit.

Any ideas? :scratch:

BTW, the pool is 13 years old and the eyeball returns have probably never been removed.

Why do you want to remove them?

If the SP 1419-T isn't working for you, try this first. Take a piece of 2X4 and place it against the threaded fitting and give it a couple good raps with a hammer - then try the 1419T again.

Wingmaster makes an aluminum one that might work better for you than the 1419T - but I've bent those too.

I've got a 'last resort' option, but I'll wait until it's truly your last resort. :)

waste said:
Why do you want to remove them?

If the SP 1419-T isn't working for you, try this first. Take a piece of 2X4 and place it against the threaded fitting and give it a couple good raps with a hammer - then try the 1419T again.

Wingmaster makes an aluminum one that might work better for you than the 1419T - but I've bent those too.

I've got a 'last resort' option, but I'll wait until it's truly your last resort. :)

I want to remove it to install a homemade aerator occasionally as well as a poolskim.

So, do I put the 2x4 covering the hole of the threaded fitting or over the threads themselves? IE: hammer towards the return outlet or towards the floor of the pool? Thanks for your help.

Hammer towards the pool wall/ return fitting. What's probably happened is that, over the years of not being removed, the plastic threads have bonded together. Since the force is coming out to the pool, it's the poolside edges that have bonded and breaking that bond might make the 'seat' removable.

Once you get it out, put a couple wraps of Teflon tape will prevent the plastic from bonding in the future :wink:

I know this is a really old post, but I learned something today and thought I'd document it for other lurkers like me.

If you are trying to get the threaded part of the eyeball out of the return fitting in your pool wall and it is stuck; here's what you do. Loosen the threaded hose fitting on the outside of the pool. That threaded hose fitting often times jambs into the threaded thingy that the eyeball ring screws onto and locks it into the return really good. Loosen the hose fitting on the other side and it may become as loose as a goose for you.

That is all....

Cheers,
Paul
Crystal Lake, IL

Re: can't remove return eyeball (seat)

With an IG pool, outside access is not that possible.

I had the same problem, and found that a 1.5" wood chisel (I bought a Stanley- No endorsement) fits perfect. I would have preferred a cold chisel, but could find none at 1.5".
Insert it far enough in to still get a large (for leverage) crescent or pipe wrench on the chisel blade.
Viola - return seat spins out.
Agree with the teflon tape applied to the new seat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If i am one of the unlikely ones that the threaded part is cemented in. If so what next. I have tried all suggestions. I am afraid if I try to break it out and it is cemented then more problems. Not sure that matters as I have completely destroyed what is in now.

Ok. I fight with these every year. This year I had one totally welded in there. Would not budge. Here is what I learned.

After trying everything here and more, this is what finally worked.

Clamp a pair of ViseGrips onto the lip of the outlet at about 9 o’clock. Put it on there very tight. This will probably ruin the threads on the outlet, but that’s ok. Just need it out. I’ll buy a new one in the spring.

Take a hammer and tap the vice grips spinning the outlet in the direction of removal (counter clockwise). Keep smacking until it breaks loose and starts to spin out. Mine never totally broke loose but I was able to keep tapping and unscrew until it was removed completely. This should work both under water and above. I found it easiest to clamp on the vice grips at about the 9 o’clock position and tap downward to start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.