Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can't remove return eyeball

1. Back To Top    #1

can't remove return eyeball

Hope someone can help me out on this, but I've been killing myself trying to remove even one return eyeball in my pool. I am able to remove the outer ring and the directional eyeball part, but the threaded fitting that screws into the wall will not budge.

I've tried a seat removal tool (made by Hayward--looks like a key card), which fits perfectly in the grooves of the threaded fitting, but that didn't work. Using pliers to turn the tool just bends and twists the tool without moving the threaded fitting one bit.

Any ideas?

BTW, the pool is 13 years old and the eyeball returns have probably never been removed.
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can't remove return eyeball

Why do you want to remove them?

If the SP 1419-T isn't working for you, try this first. Take a piece of 2X4 and place it against the threaded fitting and give it a couple good raps with a hammer - then try the 1419T again.

Wingmaster makes an aluminum one that might work better for you than the 1419T - but I've bent those too.

I've got a 'last resort' option, but I'll wait until it's truly your last resort.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Why do you want to remove them?

If the SP 1419-T isn't working for you, try this first. Take a piece of 2X4 and place it against the threaded fitting and give it a couple good raps with a hammer - then try the 1419T again.

Wingmaster makes an aluminum one that might work better for you than the 1419T - but I've bent those too.

I've got a 'last resort' option, but I'll wait until it's truly your last resort.
    I want to remove it to install a homemade aerator occasionally as well as a poolskim.

So, do I put the 2x4 covering the hole of the threaded fitting or over the threads themselves? IE: hammer towards the return outlet or towards the floor of the pool? Thanks for your help.
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hammer towards the pool wall/ return fitting. What's probably happened is that, over the years of not being removed, the plastic threads have bonded together. Since the force is coming out to the pool, it's the poolside edges that have bonded and breaking that bond might make the 'seat' removable.

Once you get it out, put a couple wraps of Teflon tape will prevent the plastic from bonding in the future
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

After the Ted trick, if you still can't get it out, you can make a copy of the seat removal tool out of steel, and that should give you more leverage against it before bending.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I know this is a really old post, but I learned something today and thought I'd document it for other lurkers like me.

If you are trying to get the threaded part of the eyeball out of the return fitting in your pool wall and it is stuck; here's what you do. Loosen the threaded hose fitting on the outside of the pool. That threaded hose fitting often times jambs into the threaded thingy that the eyeball ring screws onto and locks it into the return really good. Loosen the hose fitting on the other side and it may become as loose as a goose for you.

That is all....

Cheers,
    Paul
    Crystal Lake, IL

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I hammered, bent up two plastic removers. What is next step?

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: can't remove return eyeball (seat)

With an IG pool, outside access is not that possible.

I had the same problem, and found that a 1.5" wood chisel (I bought a Stanley- No endorsement) fits perfect. I would have preferred a cold chisel, but could find none at 1.5".
    Insert it far enough in to still get a large (for leverage) crescent or pipe wrench on the chisel blade.
    Viola - return seat spins out.
    Agree with the teflon tape applied to the new seat.
    IG 8.4k gal, 12x24, pebble sheen, SGS3000 SWG, Triton II TR100HD sand filter, PCC2000 pop up clean, 1hp 2EZ Speed motor with Whisperflo pump for filter, 1hp Century Sq1102 motor w/whisperflo pump for clean, 3.8' pool depth, 2002 build date - Nov 2015 refurb date. Went from 12.2k gal to 8.4k gal and from plaster to pebble sheen w/abalone shell.

9. Back To Top    #9

I used a metal ruler/level/square combo that i have to insert and twist.....like this http://dx.com/p/stainless-steel-angle-s ... 0cm-124119
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

Is it possible that my threaded portion of the return is cemented it. I have not been able to remove this

11. Back To Top    #11

Possible, but unlikely I would think. Worse case, grab some channel locks and take it out. You will need a new one though.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

If i am one of the unlikely ones that the threaded part is cemented in. If so what next. I have tried all suggestions. I am afraid if I try to break it out and it is cemented then more problems. Not sure that matters as I have completely destroyed what is in now.

13. Back To Top    #13

Could you take a picture to show me what part it is you're trying to remove. There's a male threaded part --the eyeball. And the female part the eyeball screws into. Here's a picture of the male end I took out to put my aerator in: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbpycae5tr...59.48.jpg?dl=0 I used a channel locks on the serrated outside part. That's a pretty large channel locks but it worked.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter