Liquid bleach question

Candi

Jun 23, 2010
A few questions:
Won't pouring straight bleach into the pool bleach my liner?
And aren't there other things in bleach that I don't want in my pool?

Thanks for your time :)

ETA: Please be honest, but be gentle. I understand this, but my DH doesn't believe me. Help me out here.

Bleach doesn't contain anything that would cause a problem. The ingredients are chlorine, water, salt, and very small quantities of lye. Lye isn't a problem. Usually there is so little you can't even measure it, but even if it is present in larger quantities, it just raises the PH just a little, and is otherwise harmless.

If you add bleach as we recommend, by pouring slowly in front of a return jet while the pump is running there will not be any problems. If you pour bleach directly onto the liner with the pump off there could be problems.

Pool shock is calcium hypochlorite. Liquid bleach is sodium hypochlorite. Liquid pool shock is sodium hypochlorite.

Yes, they are all basically the exact same things, the only difference is which metal they are bonded with for delivery and stability.

The addition of liquid bleach ruining a liner is one of those "Urban Myths" perpetutaed by--------------mostly pool stores. Was the first thing they told me when I disclosed my chlorination plans to them. I can testify to a year's worth with Zero problems.

woodyp said:
The addition of liquid bleach ruining a liner is one of those "Urban Myths" perpetutaed by--------------mostly pool stores. Was the first thing they told me when I disclosed my chlorination plans to them. I can testify to a year's worth with Zero problems.

No doubt and they gladly sell me a 5gal liquid chlorine carboy after telling me the same about bleach :hammer:

I beleive you have it backwards..... Bleach is 6% Chlorine is 10%......but you can usually get the bleach cheaper at the grocery store than the Chlorine from the Pool Supply to make up for it.

Its your call but usually you will save money by buying Bleach. Its all the same just the concentration is different and using your old wives tale of bleaching the liner- Chlorine is more concentrated, so if that were true then you would damage your liner more with Chlorine..... :lol:

Oh and ya use unscented Bleach.

jblauert said:
But according to my local Leslie's employee ... bleach is way more concentrated than their liquid chlorine :roll:

hmmm ... 6% > 10% ??? :hammer:
Right! Plus, the 6% bleach may have lost some of it's concentration, depending on how long it's been sitting on the store shelf or the warehouse. That's why I find that Wal-Mart generic bleach is good: This time of year it tends to "fly off of the shelves"! :cool:

I don't even look at bleach in the local supermarket, especially if it doesn't list the percentage of 5.5% or 6% concentration...

Terry in NC

After jhalpinjr seemed to miss my sarcasm, I think I may be missing something as I am not sure if fuzzy_dba is being sarcastic or not.
So .... I will be serious for anyone that reads this looking for information:

I agree when I was using bleach, Wal-Mart generic was the way to go around here as the stock rotates quickly. To be clear, the 10%+ chlorine loses its strength way faster than the 6% bleach. And I have read many people in the forums finding sun faded pool chlorine at the hardware stores ... you know it has to be old and has lost a lot of strength. And I also agree to be sure the concentration on the bleach is listed as 6% and has no additives ... a lot of the "fancy" smelling bleach I see is only 3% too.

Let the sarcasm now resume ....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.