Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid bleach question

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid bleach question

A few questions:
    Won't pouring straight bleach into the pool bleach my liner?
    And aren't there other things in bleach that I don't want in my pool?

Thanks for your time

ETA: Please be honest, but be gentle. I understand this, but my DH doesn't believe me. Help me out here.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid bleach question

Bleach doesn't contain anything that would cause a problem. The ingredients are chlorine, water, salt, and very small quantities of lye. Lye isn't a problem. Usually there is so little you can't even measure it, but even if it is present in larger quantities, it just raises the PH just a little, and is otherwise harmless.

If you add bleach as we recommend, by pouring slowly in front of a return jet while the pump is running there will not be any problems. If you pour bleach directly onto the liner with the pump off there could be problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool shock is calcium hypochlorite. Liquid bleach is sodium hypochlorite. Liquid pool shock is sodium hypochlorite.

Yes, they are all basically the exact same things, the only difference is which metal they are bonded with for delivery and stability.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

The addition of liquid bleach ruining a liner is one of those "Urban Myths" perpetutaed by--------------mostly pool stores. Was the first thing they told me when I disclosed my chlorination plans to them. I can testify to a year's worth with Zero problems.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    The addition of liquid bleach ruining a liner is one of those "Urban Myths" perpetutaed by--------------mostly pool stores. Was the first thing they told me when I disclosed my chlorination plans to them. I can testify to a year's worth with Zero problems.
    No doubt and they gladly sell me a 5gal liquid chlorine carboy after telling me the same about bleach
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

But according to my local Leslie's employee ... bleach is way more concentrated than their liquid chlorine

hmmm ... 6% > 10% ???
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I beleive you have it backwards..... Bleach is 6% Chlorine is 10%......but you can usually get the bleach cheaper at the grocery store than the Chlorine from the Pool Supply to make up for it.

Its your call but usually you will save money by buying Bleach. Its all the same just the concentration is different and using your old wives tale of bleaching the liner- Chlorine is more concentrated, so if that were true then you would damage your liner more with Chlorine.....

Oh and ya use unscented Bleach.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblauert
    But according to my local Leslie's employee ... bleach is way more concentrated than their liquid chlorine

hmmm ... 6% > 10% ???
    Right! Plus, the 6% bleach may have lost some of it's concentration, depending on how long it's been sitting on the store shelf or the warehouse. That's why I find that Wal-Mart generic bleach is good: This time of year it tends to "fly off of the shelves"!

I don't even look at bleach in the local supermarket, especially if it doesn't list the percentage of 5.5% or 6% concentration...

Terry in NC
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

9. Back To Top    #9

After jhalpinjr seemed to miss my sarcasm, I think I may be missing something as I am not sure if fuzzy_dba is being sarcastic or not.
    So .... I will be serious for anyone that reads this looking for information:

I agree when I was using bleach, Wal-Mart generic was the way to go around here as the stock rotates quickly. To be clear, the 10%+ chlorine loses its strength way faster than the 6% bleach. And I have read many people in the forums finding sun faded pool chlorine at the hardware stores ... you know it has to be old and has lost a lot of strength. And I also agree to be sure the concentration on the bleach is listed as 6% and has no additives ... a lot of the "fancy" smelling bleach I see is only 3% too.

Let the sarcasm now resume ....
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

LoL sorry jb- I was obviously missing the blatant sarcasm and the hammer smacking !!!! lol