Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure Test During Build

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure Test During Build

We did a pressure test on each line and everything came back fine. We finished plumbing and set up a "tree". Ran enough water through the pipes to get 15PSI and it stayed steady for an hour. I went to bed sleeping peacefully.

I go back 12 hours later and my pressure dropped from 15PSI to 11PSI over a 12 hour period. I have a skimmer which looks wet. The plumber said it was the pipe running out the top of the skimmer that is the problem and not to worry, those screw off anyway after the build is complete so no leak is in the main plumbing.

Am I to worry? Suggestions?
    34 x 19 salt water free form. 7.5" inside diameter raised spa. 24" raised beam in back. 3 moss rock waterfalls off raised beam and moss rock waterfall out of the spa. (2) Intelliflo VF pumps, 420 Cartridge Filter, 400 BTU Pentair low nox heater. 2.5" suction and 2" returns throughout.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure Test During Build

Document it but don't worry about it. Just the cooling down overnight would account for some pressure loss.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you.

Started another pressure test today. The skimmer starts "dry" then fills up and slowly spills out. Put plumbers tape on the pipe...I assume it will lose pressure again. I will certainly document w/pictures and move forward. Thanks again.
    34 x 19 salt water free form. 7.5" inside diameter raised spa. 24" raised beam in back. 3 moss rock waterfalls off raised beam and moss rock waterfall out of the spa. (2) Intelliflo VF pumps, 420 Cartridge Filter, 400 BTU Pentair low nox heater. 2.5" suction and 2" returns throughout.

4. Back To Top    #4

It did lose 2 lbs in about 6 hours during the day and it was all (I assume) from the pipe that is twisted on at the skimmer. My BP says once that pipe is gone the pool will be fine. Huh...the other skimmer doesn't do that, maybe I will switch pipes that are capping the water and see if that helps.

5. Back To Top    #5

FYI, my PB put water in the pipes, pressurized, and left for the day around 4PM - and while I checked every day - he came back about a week later around 4PM to check pressure. Hadn't lost any observable PSI on their gauge. If they are losing pressure there, how can they not be sure they wouldn't lose pressure in some other place once that skimmer part is fixed.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot