Water Level Upon Closing

Craig

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2007
Staten Island NY
I closed my pool the other day with my old winter cover awaiting the arrival of my safety cover (sniff, sniff) :cry: . My questions are

1-After blowing the lines out and plugging with expandable plugs, should I refill the water to normal levels or leave an inch or so below the returns? There appears to be some pros and cons to both but what is suggested? I.e. drianing the antifreeze vs. allowing to mix with the water, supporting the cover vs. not supporting the cover, ice catching the plugs vs. not catching the plugs, etc.

2- If leaving the water below the plugs, how far should it be below the plugs and why? I read on the sticky 4 inches. Is this because frozen water will expand that much? Obviously dependent on how cold it can get.

Thanks,
Craig

Usually you leave the water about four inches below the returns. The idea is to be really sure that even if some extra water gets through the cover and into the pool and the plug in the return line falls out you still won't get water in the lines. It is also easier this way, since you pretty much have to lower the water to get the return line drained in the first place, why bother doing anything beyond that.

RIght, safety cover. I don't have one so I'm not thinking that way. My previous post explains the motivation for leaving the water lower. If the cover needs the water higher that is not a big problem, just be aware that the plug in the return becomes much more important if the water is higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.