Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trichlor Pucks. 3 vs 1 inch.

1. Back To Top    #1

Trichlor Pucks. 3 vs 1 inch.

I prefer to treat my pool with Chrlorine pucks and am fully aware that isn't the method most choose on this forum but it works for me. Regardless, I have always been told by the pool store to use 1" tablets in the inline chlorinator instead of 3". They claim the 3" takes too long to dissolve.

I am skeptical of this claim and think maybe they just prefer selling the more expensive 1" tablets. Still I buy most of my 1" tablets from Leslies online. However I am considering going with 3" this time to try and save $.

Will it be a waste of $100 or should I stick with 1" that I know has worked in the past? My pool is only ~10000 gallons and I simply can't figure that 3" wouldn't be adequate.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Central MD

Re: Trichlor Pucks. 3 vs 1 inch.

I use 3" pucks in my ~15,000 gallon AG pool with no problem.

You could always buy a small bucket at Wal Mart to try them out and see if you like them before you commit to a bigger bucket.
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

3" pucks are just fine in most situations. Occasionally, when you are right at the limit of how much chlorine the chlorinator can add it is better to use 1" pucks because they dissolve quickly. But that is only important if you are right up against the upper limit of what the chlorinator can keep up with.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    South of Boston

your chlorinator might have a "top feed" option that allow for higher concentration output if you find 3" dissolving too slow
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

5. Back To Top    #5
    Orlando, FL

Given equal amounts, 1" pucks will dissolve faster, because they present more surface area to the water. You could get the same effect by breaking up 3" pucks into smaller pieces by wrapping them in several layers of newspaper and whacking them with a hammer.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]