New Pool in Houston,TX --Design/equipment questions

Mar 25, 2011
Hi All... First post but have been lurking for a few months as we get ready to build a pool. We've signed a contract and are pretty much settled on our design but have a couple of questions hoping for some input on design asthetics and equipment. I'll continue to post as we get started (we are waiting on HOA approval)

Attached is a drawing of the current pool design (sorry no pool studio :-D )

A couple of things we're thinking of changing:

1) Right now, there are three 3'x3' columns with sheer decents designed into the strait back wall, but when we staked out the pool it seems like that's pretty big--so I'm thinking going to 2'x2' colums with 1' sheer decents might be better--then we'd also put a column in the upper left corner as a transition point on that 90 degree angle

2) the designer wanted to give some curvature to the pool on the right side so designed a bump-out bar.. but the main patio area is on the left side. I'm thinking of switching the design to keep the same shape, but but a built in table with bench seating instead of the glass-top bar. Anyone have experience with build in tables/stools? I read that the cleaners can get caught up on them...

3) We may add a firepit to the deck on the left. On the right, we'll be expanding our covered patio and putting an outdoor kitchen. Anyone have input on firepits (it would be gas).. do you use it?

Anything about the design that seems weird/off?

Also, I'll check with the PB, but while he's very focused on the plumbing returns (he does 6 or 8 returns and minimum 2.5" piping), I'm not sure how many pumps we'll have (reading around these forums it sounds like from the number of water features we have (3 sheer decents/ bubblers in the baja shelf/ spa/ deck jets) we probably want at least two?

Some of the basics about the pool:

45 x 17 (but 17 x 35 main swimming area)
3.5' to 6'
3 sheer decents off columns on back wall
8'x8' 12" raised spa with spillovers
8'x8' baja shelf with bubblers for kiddos
Riverflow system (swim in place) on deep end wall
bump out for swim up bar/or swim up table??

Any feeback more than welcome.. we havne't started digging yet so can make changes :)

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0015.jpg
    Scan_Pic0015.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 214
Yeah.. I think we're leaning strongly against taking the bar top off... but what about an in-pool table?

BTW, shakenbake.. the riverflow system just arrived today (the pump and the fittings).

I just want to make sure the pool is what we want before we dig.. though it seems like everyone has something they'd change after the fact.

Another question to the pump/pipers out there... With this pool design and water features/spa how many pumps should we have and is the 2.5/2 in piping what I should request (I think that the PB already does 2 in, but not sure if 2.5 is standard for the returns).. Oh, and how many returns are good for this size/shape pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.