Opening Numbers

Sep 7, 2008
Opened our pool last week; ran pump for 24 hours, then brought water sample to pool store. Here are the numbers:

FC 0.1
TC 1.9
CC 1.8
TA 139
ph 8.0
Calcium 240
CYA 0
Copper 0
Iron 0
Total Dissolved Solids 0
Saturation Index 0.52
Salt Level 2400

They advised to add 6 lbs of non-chlorine shock - he claims we're in a chlorine lock? - and add 150 lbs of salt. Did the shock, but only did 50 lbs of salt - my system was showing a reading of 2800. That was Monday. All leaves and debris have been cleared from the pool. Today water is clear, but green. Salt reading is 3000. We have had a ton of rain this week. Any ideas why the green water?
Many thanks,

You should lower PH to around 7.4 or 7.5.

You need to raise CYA to a reasonable number, something between 40 and 50.

You also need to shock the pool. Read the Pool School article on how to chock your pool.

Non-chlorine shock helps, but it is more expensive than using chlorine and no more effective.

Thanks for the advice. So my plan will be to shock the pool with bleach and add muriatic acid to lower the ph. But, how do I raise the CYA? Never done that before.

Duraleigh - water is clear green. I've never had any luck posting pics.

Lower PH and then both shock and CYA at the same time. Shock by raising FC up to 10 for today, and then starting tomorrow adjust your shock level based on the CYA level you are targeting.

If the water is still green after you are able to maintain an FC level overnight, then it is probably metals in the water. But I would wait until FC is holding steady before worrying about that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.