Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Numbers

Opened our pool last week; ran pump for 24 hours, then brought water sample to pool store. Here are the numbers:

FC 0.1
    TC 1.9
    CC 1.8
    TA 139
    ph 8.0
    Calcium 240
    CYA 0
    Copper 0
    Iron 0
    Total Dissolved Solids 0
    Saturation Index 0.52
    Salt Level 2400

They advised to add 6 lbs of non-chlorine shock - he claims we're in a chlorine lock? - and add 150 lbs of salt. Did the shock, but only did 50 lbs of salt - my system was showing a reading of 2800. That was Monday. All leaves and debris have been cleared from the pool. Today water is clear, but green. Salt reading is 3000. We have had a ton of rain this week. Any ideas why the green water?
    Many thanks,
    36K inground, Hayward 450SF Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2HP Pump, River Rok Granite Pebble Finish, soon to be SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Numbers

uh algae??
    24,000 gallon ig fiberglass pool
    1 hp hayward pump
    hayward sand filter (250 lb)
    madisonville, ky

3. Back To Top    #3

You should lower PH to around 7.4 or 7.5.

You need to raise CYA to a reasonable number, something between 40 and 50.

You also need to shock the pool. Read the Pool School article on how to chock your pool.

Non-chlorine shock helps, but it is more expensive than using chlorine and no more effective.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Lower your pH down to 7.4 or so sometime soon.

Is the water murky green or clear, transparent green? Got a pic?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice. So my plan will be to shock the pool with bleach and add muriatic acid to lower the ph. But, how do I raise the CYA? Never done that before.

Duraleigh - water is clear green. I've never had any luck posting pics.
    36K inground, Hayward 450SF Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2HP Pump, River Rok Granite Pebble Finish, soon to be SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Lower the pH first.

Clear green frequently indicates the presence of metal in the water. Have you ever had the pool tested for iron?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

According to the most recent test, iron level was 0.

So if I lower ph first, what comes next - shock or CYA - in what order, and when?

8. Back To Top    #8

Lower PH and then both shock and CYA at the same time. Shock by raising FC up to 10 for today, and then starting tomorrow adjust your shock level based on the CYA level you are targeting.

If the water is still green after you are able to maintain an FC level overnight, then it is probably metals in the water. But I would wait until FC is holding steady before worrying about that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok thanks, but how do I raise CYA?

10. Back To Top    #10

CYA is raised with cyanuric acid, often called stabilizer or conditioner. You need to get it at a pool store or the pool department of a big box store.

11. Back To Top    #11

There are 2 forms...

the easy way is to buy liquid stabilizer and poor in at the returns with pump running
    the cheaper way is to buy some, place in sock, and hang in front of returns to slowly dissolve
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)