Raising CYA?

May 17, 2010
Got the CYA down last year to around 80 after converting to bleach and I added bleach almost every night. We had a leak last winter water remained below jets. With the addition of water after fixing the leak CYA is between 30-40. I'm having to add a lot of bleach every night. My pool is in full sun all day. Would it be wise to up the CYA? What would be a better number? I have some old pucks or should I use the sock method?
Do I need to adjust anything else? Is TA and CH too low? Here are my numbers last night before adding bleach
FC 4.0
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 100
CYA 30-40

Thanks for any input.

AT 9 to 12 cups you're only adding 1.5 to 2 ppm per day. I'd say that's pretty normal.
You can raise it up to 50 ppm but I don't think it's going to help you very much and I wouldn't go much higher than that.

I lose 3-4 ppm per day in full sun when it heats up with CYA of 50ish as a reference for you. Averaging about 2ppm right now. But that's gonna change! Water temp is around 75 lately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.