Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising CYA?

Got the CYA down last year to around 80 after converting to bleach and I added bleach almost every night. We had a leak last winter water remained below jets. With the addition of water after fixing the leak CYA is between 30-40. I'm having to add a lot of bleach every night. My pool is in full sun all day. Would it be wise to up the CYA? What would be a better number? I have some old pucks or should I use the sock method?
    Do I need to adjust anything else? Is TA and CH too low? Here are my numbers last night before adding bleach
    FC 4.0
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 100
    CYA 30-40

Thanks for any input.
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Raising CYA?

I'm having to add a lot of bleach every night.
    How much?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

9 - 12 cups sometimes more had a lot of rain this last week
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

AT 9 to 12 cups you're only adding 1.5 to 2 ppm per day. I'd say that's pretty normal.
    You can raise it up to 50 ppm but I don't think it's going to help you very much and I wouldn't go much higher than that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I lose 3-4 ppm per day in full sun when it heats up with CYA of 50ish as a reference for you. Averaging about 2ppm right now. But that's gonna change! Water temp is around 75 lately.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, I'll leave it for now and see what happens when it warms up.
    Central, VA