Manually reverse electrodes on Zodiac LM2 cell?

Hilton

In The Industry
Jun 15, 2010
Through the multiple pools I take care of, there are three different salt-water generators. I have two Clearwater Zodiac SWGs (recently down from three, one was replaced with a...), three Aqua-Rite SWGs, and one Pool Pilot SWG. The Zodiacs have a constant problem with calcium build-up. I get very little on the Pool Pilot and almost none on the Aqua-Rite, but the Zodiac cells build up on the black lead very quickly. If not cleaned on a very regular basis, it eats at the metal and eventually kills the cell. All of these pools have roughly the same water balance and the same chemical maintenance routines. Calcium Hardness is generally kept between 200 and 250 on all the pools. So why do both the the Zodiacs build up so much more?

According to the manual, all three models reverse polarity to eliminate scale. I wonder if the reversing does not work very well on the Zodiacs - would it is safe to manually reverse the red and black electrodes myself for a day every couple of weeks? (note that the pump is run 24 hours a day and the SWG is typically on its lowest setting (20%?), sometimes the next setting up (40%?)).

i doubt that this will solve your issue.

if you suspect that reversing isn't working (which i've never heard of) then the first thing you should do is verify it using multimeter. measure the polarity every 4-6 hours during several days and see if it reverses or not.

the difference might be purely in reverse intervals.
Autopilot and AquaRite might be programmed to reverse more often

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.