Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Clean and Clear Gasket Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Clean and Clear Gasket Replacement

Hi!

So... I just bought a house with a pool and this is my first. I've been learning a lot by following threads in the forum and by trial and error.

That said, the issue I'm having is this: I have a Pentair (Purex) Clean and Clear 320 that was installed around 10 years ago. The previous owner hadn't maintained the filter all that much. When I opened up the filter housing to clean it out, I noted that the gasket seemed worn. Tried to reseal the system after cleaning the cartridges and noted that there was a small leak between the seems of the metal banding. I resealed the upper and lower filter halves around 5 times, each with the same result: a small leak between the metal band clamp.

So based on that, I purchased a new gasket o-ring. It fits, however, I am unable to get the upper and lower halves of the filter to clamp together again. I can't seem to get the upper half of the filter to compress the gasket enough to get the clamp tightened down.

Any suggestions to make this easier?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Clean and Clear Gasket Replacement

Some people have had luck with rapping around the band with a rubber mallet. Also, did you lubricate the new o-ring when you installed it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pentair Clean and Clear Gasket Replacement

I did lubricate the o-ring before installing it and also tried rapping around the band, but not with a rubber mallet. I was using a light hammer and a wood block. May not be applying force in the right way. Thanks for the suggestion.

A friend also suggested placing the o-ring into the sun for a few hours to warm it up prior to installing it. That seems to make sense...